PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Red engine light

Default Red engine light

I got a red engine light on my 85 and it's acting sluggish, what's the difference between the yellow "check engine" and red "engine" lights on these cars?

The red "ENGINE" light comes on when oil pressure is too low (below either 6 or 10 psi, if memory serves) or coolant temperature is too high (250F or above).
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria
    1977 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme
    1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, 360

Past: 1995 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor

Quote Originally Posted by Stocker View Post
    The red "ENGINE" light comes on when oil pressure is too low (below either 6 or 10 psi, if memory serves) or coolant temperature is too high (250F or above).
    Yellow "Check Engine" on '89+ is an actual check engine lamp. Like Stocker said, the red "ENGINE" light is for one of those two issues.

My Cars:
    -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
    -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (230K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Well the coolant temp sensor has bare wire on the little snap plug. And I might've disturbed it when I pressure washed the engine, oil pressure wiring doesn't look the best either

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

That would be the "replace engine" light. Unless its a bad sensor, fair bet she's fucked if you've been driving with that on for any amount of time at all.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Quote Originally Posted by 91merc View Post
    Well the coolant temp sensor has bare wire on the little snap plug. And I might've disturbed it when I pressure washed the engine, oil pressure wiring doesn't look the best either
    With the engine cold and running, disconnect the wire from the coolant temperature switch (this is the one on the intake manifold - the one on the heater hose fitting is the temp sensor for the ECU). If the light goes out, the problem is the switch. If the light remains on, either the wiring is shorted or the problem is in the oil pressure side of things. Disconnect the wire from the oil pressure switch - if the light goes out, either the switch is bad or your oil pressure is next to nothing.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria

Doesn't an 85 have the "low oil" sensor in the oil pan? The sensor can be stuck or the wire going to it may be shorting out. WagonMan
    89 Colony Park
    90 Colony Park
    70 HEMI Daytona Convertible

Quote Originally Posted by WagonMan View Post
    Doesn't an 85 have the "low oil" sensor in the oil pan? The sensor can be stuck or the wire going to it may be shorting out. WagonMan
    That's a separate light - optional on Fords, and I think it says "Check Oil" (my '85 is a low-series car and doesn't have it).
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria

does it go out when you rev it up?

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

The first time I drove it about 15 miles, parked it for about 10 minutes and it was on right from startup, then I went under the hood and wiggled some various wires and it stayed off for about 10 more miles, the last 5 or so miles there was no knocking or coolant smell, just a little sluggish

The light is staying off right now, but I haven't actually moved it at all yet

If the coolant temp sensor or the oil pressure sensor grounds due to faulty wiring and/or a faulty sensor, the light will turn on. By what you are describing, that sounds like your issue.

A steady on red engine light for actual temp or oil pressure reasons basically means turn it off ASAP or you're gonna nuke it.
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Quote Originally Posted by Tiggie View Post
    If the coolant temp sensor or the oil pressure sensor grounds due to faulty wiring and/or a faulty sensor, the light will turn on. By what you are describing, that sounds like your issue.

A steady on red engine light for actual temp or oil pressure reasons basically means turn it off ASAP or you're gonna nuke it.

I think you're right on the ground problem cuz it stayed off on my 20 mile commute to work and ran real good. If the ground problem is the case, would that basically fool the computer into thinking the engine was about to grenade and throw the car into limp mode and thats why it was sluggish?

Do these things have a limp mode?

Or is it rather to do with the fact that the coolant temp is one of the variables used for the air/fuel mixture?

I post a lot...

91, I am guess from your answer to Lincolnmania that the light does not go off if the engine rpms are increased?
    03 Marauder DBP, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated Cooper Zeon RS3-A, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
    08 Escape Limited V6 Auto, Beamtech LED headlight bulbs,

all the CFI are belong to me

As mentioned above for the most part:

The red engine light in a Ford (Mercury has two lights, Ford has one) represents either a low oil pressure, or high temperature, or both condition.
    The lights receive 12V at the gauge cluster, and the lights are turned on by the switches (like a "sender" but it is only on or off) grounding the wire.

Oil pressure switch grounds the wire when oil pressure is below a certain pressure, from memory it's about 6psi. Therefore, the light is normally lit solid any time the key is on but engine is not running, and then turns off once the engine is running. As noted above, when an engine is worn, low oil pressure at idle that goes higher when you rev it is sort of normal (not good, but common as things get worn out).

Temperature switch grounds the wire when temperature is above a certain amount, from memory it's about 260 degrees Fahrenheit.

Reasons why the light can turn on:
    1. The oil pressure is low.
    2. The temperature is high.
    3. One of the switches is broken.
    4. One of the switches was mistakenly replaced with a sender. In parts store catalogs usually a switch is described as "with light" or "without gauge", and a sender is described as "with gauge".
    5. One of the switches is defective.
    6. A wiring fault is allowing the bare metal of one of the wires (oil or temp) to touch bare metal somewhere, which grounds the wire turning the light on.

Sounds like #5 or #6 is your likely option.

The computer has a temperature input, but it uses a completely separate sender. There is no interconnection between the red engine light in the cluster and the computer. They do not know that each other exist at all.

A very hot engine will run sluggishly, but it is also possible you have an unrelated issue if wiggling the wire makes the light come on or off.
    Last edited by kishy; 08-12-2022 at 10:14 AM.

Current drivers: 84 TC | 85 CS
    Panthers, Parked: 83 GM 2dr | 86 GM | 88 TC | 91 GM
    Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 05 Focus
    RIP: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | Junkyards

I think the bare spot in the wire to the coolant temp was touching the alternator bracket and grounding out

Quote Originally Posted by kishy View Post

The red engine light in a Ford (Mercury has two lights, Ford has one) represents either a low oil pressure, or high temperature, or both condition.
    The lights receive 12V at the gauge cluster, and the lights are turned on by the switches (like a "sender" but it is only on or off) grounding the wire.
    I’d just like to point out the Mercury clusters when equipped with all the warning lights and the check level oil sensor will only feature the single red engine light. The base clusters without the extra lights or when not equipped with the check level lamp will feature the split temp/oil warning lights.

My Cars:
    -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
    -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (230K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

that's exactly what happened, the little clip on plug for the coolant temperature rotated and the bare wire was touching the coil bracket

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast