Okay I need to know...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay I need to know...

Was I stupid to rescue these Panthers from death?

A 1993 Lincoln Town Car

And a 1994 Mercury Grand Marquis

Pics:Click image for larger version

Name:	PIC_0019.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	1302443Click image for larger version

Name:	PIC_0020.jpg
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	1302444Click image for larger version

Name:	PIC_0023.jpg
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	1302445Click image for larger version

Name:	PIC_0022.jpg
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	1302446Click image for larger version

Name:	PIC_0030.jpg
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	1302447Click image for larger version

Name:	0401-181937.jpg
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	1302448Click image for larger version

Name:	0401-181950.jpg
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	1302449

Problems:

LTC WONT START>>>>Cranks but wont fire up?? Fuel Pump?
    Blend door and "CO" On gas gauge on cluster.

Marquis Wont start turn the key and it makes a motor connected to nothing sound... like a drill...

Better pics coming soon Im going to pick up the marquis today at one BUT it wont start? Any tips to get it moved 25miles just once off the old starter?? OR how hard would it be for me to put a new one it?
    Last edited by Seb B.; 07-03-2014, 06:53 AM.

marquis needs a starter if its' spinning and not connecting.

Town car probably needs a crank or cam sensor. Definitely check to make sure they're actually plugged in. Crank sensor is on the passenger side off the same wire line as the AC compressor. The cam sensor should be under the driver side coil pack.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Check for fuel at the fuel rail. Listen for the fuel pump when you turn the key to "ON".
      You can jump the fuel pump relay as well, to see if it turns on.

-ryan s.
      08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
      03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
      97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
      94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
      73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
      12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
      Originally posted by pantera77
      Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

OKay....I turn the key on...I here the clicks of the relays but not the rush of fuel from the fuel pump that little whine you here?? Not on this car...
        so fuel pump I guess?? What about that annoying CO display on the gas gauge? Is that the sending unit?

Comment

maybe the ground wire for all that is loose underneath. might be worth checking. Would also be a simple fix to reconnect the ground wire.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

The fuel pump and gas gauge plug into a plate on the front of the gas tank. If that wiring harness is unplugged or crapped up for some reason, you'd get CO on the gauge and no fuel pump. Worth a look. It should be visible under the car, directly above the rear axle.

The other one, you *might* get it to light off if you smack the starter to see if that gets it to throw out. I wouldn't hold my breath, but it might get you started to move the car once before you replace it.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I've had that happen. I had to put the car in neutral and roll it back a foot or two, and it would fire right up.

-ryan s.
              08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
              03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
              97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
              94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
              73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
              12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
              Originally posted by pantera77
              Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

OKay sorry for the late reply....Were is the fuel pump ground on the Lincoln??? I found a 5 prong connector and another that were disconnected....but no luck with its mate...

Are Fuel pumps common replacement items?

Comment

get under the car... fine the gas tank behind the rear axle... follow the wires from the pump to the bolt.

Comment

These cars are really putting me to the test!!!

Okay...I was cleaning all the CRAP out of the Lincoln TC and decided there way so much stuff in the engine bay I would use a blower......A gas blower....So as I proceeded to clean out all the dead scorpions and spiders I could finally see the engine bay....and GUESS WHAT!

!!!!!THERE WAS NO TRANSMISSION DIP STICK!!!!!

So...the question now is what have I done to the transmission? the car can't even run obviously...and the only thing ive done to it is turn the key over and try to start it. SO! Do I need another transmission? Can I flush it? It says on the car in marker "trans pan and flush @72K" The car reads 112XXX.

Thanks for the help....OH do please check the other listings.....the DD Black Death is having some problems to...

And the 94 Marq...is being a B*TCH

Comment

I'd get a dipstick first and check what comes out on the stick. If it's milky, at least a fluid/filter change. If it's red, meh. put in the stick and have a nice day. Might definitely be worth a pan drop to really check for sure. Since it's been at least 40K since the last service, might as well just drop the pan for a fluid/filter change and see if anything bad comes out with it. I've driven with my trans stick popped up for many miles with no ill effects, so unless water/critters are in there, there really shouldn't be any issues.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                        I'd get a dipstick first and check what comes out on the stick. If it's milky, at least a fluid/filter change. If it's red, meh. put in the stick and have a nice day. Might definitely be worth a pan drop to really check for sure. Since it's been at least 40K since the last service, might as well just drop the pan for a fluid/filter change and see if anything bad comes out with it. I've driven with my trans stick popped up for many miles with no ill effects, so unless water/critters are in there, there really shouldn't be any issues.

Okay, i guess my that works for me, but what about when I was blowing the dirt and crap out from the engine bay...if all the dirt and junk went into the tube is there a way I can purge it completely before it hits the valve body so to say or the main internals?? I bought a dipstick form the salvage yard and cleaned it and put it in, it comes up smelling clean and red, but there is little "crumbs" on there from what I suppose is from the dirt...

I seem to live to make my OWN life worse....don't need anybody else for that! HAHAH!

Comment

I think it'll hit the filter before it gets to the valve body. could always stick a tube down there and suck the top muck off, but I'd be more apt to go ahead and do a fluid and filter change.

Comment

Okay back to the town car.. I have these questions to ask...

the car is getting repaired in the next week or so..but before i go on I was looking at the engine bay and rad... the overflow looks to be reddish or rusty...and the exhaust pipes have whats seems to be a black soot build up? Like the black marquis...not oil drenched like the 96 marq but more on the inside of the pipe...so from those two things what could i surmise?? Bad steam seals, running rich, head gasket issue, broken rad water pump?

Thanks!

Comment

flush the cooling system, run a 50/50 mix of coolant and distilled water (or use premixed) you will probably have to clean the crud out of the overflow tank. they usually get nasty after 20 yrs. dont worry about the soot in the exhaust, it's carbon.

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                              2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                              1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                              1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                              2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                              1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Working...
                              X