Hi There

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mike_Windsor View Post
    Starter did something frightening last night.

I went to start the car and the starter refused to disengage after the engine started. I turned the engine off and the starter still kept going for a good 20 seconds before shutting off...

It only did this once and I've started the car some 30 times since then without incident. My Haynes manual for the car doesn't cover this particular topic and so I'm a little concerned.

Are starters for 1986 Mercury Grand Marquis difficult to replace?
    Sounds like the starter solenoid is bad. The solenoid is on the passenger side fender. The positive battery cable is connected to that. They aren't that much, mine was just be sure to get all of those wires back on there.

Comment

Can someone post a picture or a diagram or something for me? I'm not sure where exactly it is or what the heck it looks like.

Comment

Well I bought a solenoid for $20...now I get to try to replace it...

Comment

Have fun! Pretty sure all you'll need is a 7mm or 8mm socket and a 1/2" socket or wrench. Just disconnect the negative battery cable first, keep track of all the junk on the forward post of the solenoid (where the positive battery cable connects), and you'll have zero worries.
          2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
            Have fun! Pretty sure all you'll need is a 7mm or 8mm socket and a 1/2" socket or wrench. Just disconnect the negative battery cable first, keep track of all the junk on the forward post of the solenoid (where the positive battery cable connects), and you'll have zero worries.
            What should I use to clean the wire connections with?

Comment

Hurrah for vinegar!

Wish me luck.

Comment

Project aborted due to confusion and cold weather.

I need some serious help here.

Comment

Can someone pretty please hook me up with a wiring diagram? I think I need one.

Comment

welcome to GMN
                    2000 Crown Vic LX HPP Red w/3:55 Rears
                    85 Crown Vic Stock w/HPP`s
                    07 JCL 250 A Scooter
                    79 to 91 Mercedes S Class W126 US or Euro Versions coming soon

Comment

Welcome, the car looks pretty nice. If I can get enough light on my Solenoid I will get a pic up for ya. As for the exhaust, if nobody has touched the Y pipe, it just unbolts and you can put an H pipe in for the dual exhaust, then just pick up some mufflers and the factory tail pipes.
                      1990 LTD Crown Vic w/ dead 5.0
                      1984 Pontiac 6000 cammed 2.5L Iron Duke
                      1986 F-150 300 6cyl 5spd.
                      1994 Crown Vic... Free, bad trans?

Comment

one thing i noticed that was failed to mention.... the car is 20+ years old... the fuel gauge issue could just be the float that snaps on the sending unit. it is typical for them to rust a little hole and sink. many times that is all it is.
                        Addicted to 86-87 Panthers

Comment

Ok, I can't get a pic. My camera fails and I couldn't take anything apart to clean it up for a good pic as I needed the car today.
                          1990 LTD Crown Vic w/ dead 5.0
                          1984 Pontiac 6000 cammed 2.5L Iron Duke
                          1986 F-150 300 6cyl 5spd.
                          1994 Crown Vic... Free, bad trans?

Comment

Working...
                          X