New guy saying hi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New guy saying hi

I just recently bought an 85 Grand Marquis. It needs some work but should be a good car with having limited rust and only 75k on it. I'm live in Wisconsin so rust is a big issue with used cars.

It needs a good look over and a coolant leak fixed then my free time will be spent getting it ready to tow our camper next summer. I've found some useful info here on things I want to do and am continuing to dig though threads for more info.

Planned list so far:
    Tranny cooler
    Adding electric fans (will have a manual switch to turn on if things get hot when towing)
    Manual temp guage
    Some sway bars from the junk yard
    Dual exhaust (probably pull an H-pipe off a whale as suggested in a thread here)
    Stiffer rear springs, something with a progressive rate
    MSD multi-spark box
    Change all fluids
    Tune up
    Class III hitch
    trailer light and brake wiring

I'm also thinking about a shift kit. I've never actually worked on a transmission but shift kits look/sound pretty easy to install.

I'm a software developer but since I was a kid my dad had me helping him work on his vehicles and toys and I've almost always done all the work on my own cars.

I've had many cars, including an 84 mustang with a 302, but this is my first mercury. I'll try to get a picture posted when I get a chance but she's not much to look at right now with a broken tail light, a few dents, miss-matched hub caps, and white walls that have been rubbed on a few too many curbs.
    '85 Mercury Grand Marquis
    only MSD multi-spark so far but hopefully a 351 on the way.

welcome to gmn!

another tbi panther, cool. the tranny cooler is a good idea. i recently got one. i have yet to figure out how to plug it in. i think i might have to cut the screws that connect to the radiator. i dont know but we'll see how it works out.
    heres a pic with a rear sway bar, definately could tell the difference in handleing. i beat my bro while racing around a hair pin. he still gets pissed that my car handles better than his. he goes faster but who cares, right? handling turns is where the skills at. LOl

your in good hands with these fellas.
    Attached Files
    sigpic
    67 Ltd tudor
    67 Ltd 4door
    85 Ltd 4door

Comment

Welcome to GMN
      '79 Continental Town Car
      '90 Crown Victoria LTD
      '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

welcome to the site, good job on finding a low mileage car
        "Being a champion opens lots of doors—I'd like to get a real estate license, maybe sell insurance."-Mike Tyson

Comment

~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
          my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo View Post
            he goes faster but who cares, right? handling turns is where the skills at. LOl
            just remember, speed is nothing if you do not have the handling to keep that speed in the corners.

cant wait to see future developments. and also about those white walls, take bleach white to them. You can find it in a local parts store, and it will make the scuffs disappear. I have found a curb or two with my driving, and have scuffed the crap out of my white walls. The bleach white will take care of it, just make sure you SCRUB! Now i just need to figure out how to get the dents out of my hubcaps lol
            Last edited by hemihotrod402; 11-21-2009, 03:02 PM.
            Parts Car (Scrapped ) - Vicky - 1987 LTD Crown Victoria: 17x8 Gunmetal Gray Coys C-5 wheels, 235/55-17 Falken Ziex ZE-502 tires. 79 LTD Grille, Taillights, and Turn Signals, Blue LED Dash Lights, PI Rear Sway Bar, 140 MPH Speedometer, Dual Exhaust w/ Mustang Headers.
            New Project: Vicky II - 1981 Ford LTD: 61,XXX miles, virtually rust free. Currently For Sale

Comment

welcome to gmn , hope you enjoy. this is the best site everyone trys to help everyone else
              sigpicTHE H.I.D MASTER
              87 mercury grand marquis
              88 crown vic lx
              89 mercury colony park ls (sold)
              89 mercury grand marquis (sold)
              00 ford crown vic lx hpp
              03 mercury marauder aka punisher (sold )

Comment

Welcome and good luck with your ride!

2011 Grand Marquis LS Ultimate Edition
                Dual Exhaust w/ AP XLerator mufflers and 3 1/2" tips, Eibach 1" rear sway bar, Pioneer Head unit and speakers, 17X8 Drag DR-72 wheels

RIP 1984 2Dr Crown Vic "The Millennium Falcon"
                Carbed 5.0 HO w/nitrous , Performer RPM intake, GT40P heads, E303 cam, FRP Shorties, FRP 9mm plug wires, Off-Road H-pipe, Magnaflow round mufflers, 2000 rpm stall
                NA-15.78@91.21, 80hp shot-14.48@96.21

Comment

Thanks for the welcome.

Still no pics unfortunately. I did give her a bath this weekend, luckily we had a bit of warm weather, and was she dirty. The previous owner had her sitting for 2 or 3 months and I doubt she washed it since she bought it a little more than a year ago. Luckily the vinyl is in really good shape so I'm going to look for some 303 products(I saw suggested on here) and get it good and clean and protected before winter.

Yeah, I want it to handle good for when I tow my camper and I just like my cars to handle nice since this will be my DD once I fix the coolant leak. Also I might take a ride down to Milwaukee to give the SCCA solo races a try.
                  '85 Mercury Grand Marquis
                  only MSD multi-spark so far but hopefully a 351 on the way.

Comment

Working...
                  X