No announcement yet.

Shifting problems?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's a question I've been kicking around in the back of my head for awhile: Since the LoPo requires you to pretty much bury the go pedal to get it to move at a decent rate, the TV is opened quite a bit as well and thus more "blood" is flowing to the important bits, right? So what happens when you begin to throw go fast parts at it or even just swap it out for a stock HO motor? I suspect less pedal effort will be needed to get the same acceleration since the motor now has more power to spare but doesn't that still mean a similar load on the trans but without all the extra bloodflow? Is that why you want a mustang valvebody or do you just compensate by adjusting the TV cable?
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

The only thing that is actually any different in a trans in our cars vs one that came behind an HO is the shift governor. The HO engines have one that lets t he engine hit a higher max RPM before it shifts. Valve body, etc is the same, as is the factory TV pressure setting. Flooring it vs not flooring it really won't affect the life of the trans by much. The pressure won't be that much different, and lets face it, with more motor you're still going to bury the go pedal anyway.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Oh, well that's good to know. So mustangs had the same 1, D, OD gear select pattern? No second gear?

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
          So what happens when you begin to throw go fast parts at it or even just swap it out for a stock HO motor? I suspect less pedal effort will be needed to get the same acceleration since the motor now has more power to spare but doesn't that still mean a similar load on the trans but without all the extra bloodflow?
          Honestly a HO doesn't really make the car that much faster. It's still 200hp in a 4000# vehicle, it will still be slow as hell. Your still going to be flooring it if you want any sense of acceleration, more so down low if your running a HO cam coupled with shitty gears.
          2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
          2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
          2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
          1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
            Oh, well that's good to know. So mustangs had the same 1, D, OD gear select pattern? No second gear?
            Yep, as did everything else with an AOD. Pretty sure this was purely an economy move on Ford's part. It let them not re-design the shifter mechanisms for an extra detent.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

The shop just called me and I get her back today. He only charged me 850 for a rebuild because of all the complaining I did.

Comment

may i ask why you complained?

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Yeah.. If the shop people are cool with me I'm super cool to them. I don't mind paying people for services rendered because what goes around comes around I think.

Comment

They said if I got it in by Monday theyd look at it that day. It was over three weeks when I went in for the second time and he said he didn't realize that no one had looked at it. In that time I'd called four times, and every time his daughter treated me as if I ruined her day by asking if they'd have a chance to look at her. I swear I'm a patient guy, when kc's had my falcon it took him two months but he called when he hit a snag and would answer my calls after hours. So the short answer would be because of his rude daughter? After complaining about this shop at work a few coworkers said they had the same problem with him.

Comment

Working...
                    X