Creaking front suspension noise around center

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Creaking front suspension noise around center

Hi, my 1999 TC developed a creaking noise, coming from the front suspension - it seems to come from the driver's side wheel, since I don't have anyone on hand right now to turn the wheel for me, I can't tell for sure.

It creaks when I'm turning the wheel around center position, with a bit of lock, it stops. It also creaks a little bit when I hit a pothole or something when driving straight ahead.

Any ideas what is may be? The part about it making noise only just around straight-ahead position seems strange to me...

Thanks for any ideas!

sounds like ball joints. How many miles and are they original? Originals do not have grease fittings, and generally last about 120k. You really want to check them out because they tend to fail rather spectacularly. The lower one seperates, letting the wheel go up into the wheelwell and the lower control arm slams down into the ground.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
      sounds like ball joints. How many miles and are they original? Originals do not have grease fittings, and generally last about 120k. You really want to check them out because they tend to fail rather spectacularly. The lower one seperates, letting the wheel go up into the wheelwell and the lower control arm slams down into the ground.
      Odometer says about 100.000 miles or a little bit over - I am not sure if it's true, as tampering odometers is quite common in this part of the world. But based on how the car looks, compared to ones I looked at on eBay, it seems it may be right. And ball joints are probably original - at least they look pretty old.

Comment

Thats the upper ball joint with a grease fitting. The lowers are the ones I'd be more suspicious of, but its certainly worth putting some grease in there to see if it helps. If I had to guess, those uppers probably are not original. Either way, its worth a check to verify if it is or is not the problem. If you can make the front end creak by just turning the wheel back and forth while parked, have someone do that and see if you can determine where the noise is coming from.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

gadget73: Yeah, I can produce the noise by turning the wheel back and forth, but only with wheels around the center position - so the wheels cover the view on suspension parts and it will be hard to tell where it's coming from by just standing besides the car. I'm taking it to a friend's place with a pit on Tuesday. And good point about the grease fitting - I totally forgot these cars need that, and I guess previous owner didn't know, so I guess there hasn't been any grease for quite some time...

But since it's also making clunking noises in full lock, I guess it will need the ball joints replaced anyway. I looked at RockAuto.com, but there's too many choices - what should I go for? Are the cheap ones from AC Delco or Raybestos good enough, or shall I spring some more cash for Professional Grade ones?

Comment

Working...
          X