Small Lift 2000 Merc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Small Lift 2000 Merc

Hi all! I have a question about putting a small lift on my 2000 MGM. I'm simply looking for the cheapest/easiest way to gain around 2 inches for the purpose of installing some bigger off road type of tires. Not looking to go crazy with it, but I would like a taller stance and a "different" look...for as cheap as possible. Would a simple coil spring swap give me what I'm looking for? And if so, what would be my best option for springs? I don't want to go with air suspension, and I'm not sure that P71 springs will give me the height I want. I've been told to use springs from an F150, Ranger, Expedition, or Explorer....would any of these work, and what type of modifications will be needed? Also, would swapping to taller springs require any other suspension mods? Thanks in advance
    Attached Files

you could get custom springs done. Combined with shocks from an F150 (for more travel) and alignment that could probably buy you 2 inches. P71 springs would probably be more like 1 inch.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
    160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
    waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

spring spacers can also be used.

something like this: (dunno this company, just found them in a google search and using them for pics - use the drop down on the right to select lift size)
      Front:
      Get your Made in USA Automotive Lift Kits, Alignment Kits & Shop Equipment from McBay Performance.

Rear:
      Get your Made in USA Automotive Lift Kits, Alignment Kits & Shop Equipment from McBay Performance.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I saw a movie recently, the redo of Escape From Witch Mountain, that had a subtly lifted whale with larger tires for some off road scenes. Check it out.

Comment

I was thinking the same thing about the p71 springs only giving about an inch...Spring spacers are probably the route I'll take. I can't afford custom springs at the moment. Will using the 2" spacers require me to get taller shocks as well, or will my oem shocks work out? I saw the Race to Witch Mountain movie...were you talking about the taxi being chased by the suv's? It does look very slightly lifted, but I'm looking for more than that.

Comment

definitely a good idea to go with the longer shocks as well. the stock ones will bottom out that much faster. At least on the rear. The front has the upper control arm bump stop that should prevent shock damage.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
            X