No announcement yet.

Voltage Drain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disconnected the under hood light (from the connector) just for laughs and it didn't matter - good call, though.

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by miamibob View Post
      Not sure but sometimes the car will not start after only a few days of sitting and sometimes it can sit for a couple of weeks and be fine. No rhyme or reason!

I'm confused by the statement that you traced all of the fuses, if you don't know how much of a draw there is. You pull the fuses as part of the parasitic draw test - set multimeter to 10A scale, disconnect + battery cable and put the red meter lead on the battery positive and black on the cable end you disconnected.

If it just drains after sitting sometimes and the draw is withing spec (there's ALWAYS a draw, the amount the battery can handle is the issue) then the battery could be bad. Load test the battery and do a parasitic draw test.

I saw a car once that would drain the battery for seemingly no reason. Test it and no parasitic draw...eventually found out the owner parked on a hill and the mercury tilt switch in the trunk kept the light on & it killed the battery.
      sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

I have had two voltage regulators to fail and cause a 0.5 Amp parasitic draw on the car. All my cars were CVPIs 1988 - 1991 and had the 100A alternators. Try to disconnect the wiring harness from your VR !

Comment

Still not well but have to get to it and investigate further. Will be back with results but still accepting ideas.....

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

Comment

You have the inductive am meter. It is your friend.
            03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
            02 SL500 Silver Arrow
            08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
            12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

EXTECH MA200 but haven't had a chance to put it into action!

Comment

Get well soon m'bob!

Comment

Originally posted by P72Crazy View Post
                  Get well soon m'bob!
                  Presently inoperable brain tumors so not getting better soon. REAL nasty daily headaches so I am not much for fooling around with cars like I used to. Thanks for the good wishes and prayers are always good!!

Comment

Working...
                  X