So it went slow :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So it went slow :(

So, I took the Lincoln to the track yesterday and had some issues.

I ran the car on snow tires, figuring that they would give me enough traction to come off the line on the converter like it did on radial last year. Oh, was I wrong.

First pass:

Reaction: 1.2109
    60ft: 3.0052
    1/8 ET: 11.6310
    1/8 MPH: 64.37
    1/4 ET: 17.3272
    1/4 MPH: 80.46

Car FRIED the tires on the line, had to let off to get it to go anywhere.

2nd pass, dusted the tires off a bit to try to hook up:

Reaction: 1.4171
    60ft: 3.0180
    1/8 ET: 11.6589
    1/8 MPH: 64.11
    1/4 ET: 17.9029
    1/4 MPH: 79.92

Car roasted the tires AGAIN. This wasn't getting any more fun.

So, I went and borrowed a set of 275 ET Street Drag Radials on some Drag Lites, and slapped them on:

3rd pass:

Reaction: 1.0289
    60ft: 2.5462
    1/8 ET: 11.0692
    1/8 MPH: 64.54
    1/4 ET: 17.2790
    1/4 MPH: 80.07

It felt like the tranny was slipping off the line now! DEAR CHRIST! Because the tires sure weren't..............

4th pass:

Reaction: 1.1849
    60ft: 2.5832
    1/8 ET: 11.2750
    1/8 MPH: 61.99
    1/4 ET: 17.7099
    1/4 MPH: 76.65

It definitely felt like the tranny was slipping on the last pass. Car was hot..............

The REALLY annoying part is, and I suppose it's self-inflicted, is that the car just starts to make power, and then it shifts. It's got torque out of the hole, but with a good sized tire on it and 3.27's, it takes a while to get up into her power range. When she gets there, she is rewarded with a gear shift, which instantly drops her back out of it............ It was NOT a good night.

Gadget, do you happen to know the part number of that Mustang/LSC shift governor? I'd like to see how much of an improvement on the butt-dyno that makes over the current shift point.

Ultimately, the car isn't going to be seeing much more money this year, it's time to finish putting the Capri together so I can get some decent 1/4 mile times

I was also asleep at the tree as you can probably tell. I was more worried about getting the car off the line than cutting a good light.............

Your comments are welcome gentlemen!
    1989 Town Car Cartier: 3G Alt. Upgrade, Mark VIII Electric Fan, Police Interceptor Suspension, 40-series Flows, loaded. HO+ Conversion: E7 heads, Cobra 1.7RR's, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, FMS "E" Camshaft, 4-hole 19lb/hr injectors, A9P ECM, 76mm C&L MAF, BBK CAI. 338,000Km, stock bottom-end.

thats a horrible reaction time. you could be a least a second faster. i was getting consistent 17-sec 1/4s with my OLD setup and 2.73 gears.
    LTD is still here

Comment

Dag yo, I'm sure your townie has the capability to do a low 16. Try keeping the shifter in 1st gear until 5200 rpm, then push it to D
      1989 Lincoln Town Car - "Anabelle" - Original block, .030 over with SpeedPro pistons, rods fitted with ARP hardware, FRPP +volume oil pump, GT-40 3bar heads, Crane 1.72 rockers, 89' Fox cam, 93' Cobra lower intake, Explorer upper and 65mm TB, 93' Lightning EGR spacer, K&N intake kit from a 4.0L Ranger, 19lb/hr injectors w/ 87 Mark VII ECM, cat/smog deletes, Big Brake conversion, 3.55 K-Code Trac-Lok/Disc brake rear axle, CVPI LCA's w/1" sway bar in rear, wagon front sway bar, BBK 2.5" off-road H-Pipe, Flowmaster super 40s, HPP wheels, 3G alternator w/LMR.com wiring kit, gear reduction starter conversion, Best 1/4 time: 16.0 @ 85mph.

Comment

Originally posted by 89LincolnTWNcar View Post
        Dag yo, I'm sure your townie has the capability to do a low 16. Try keeping the shifter in 1st gear until 5200 rpm, then push it to D
        I'm thinking the car needs a shift kit and the capability to shift a lot higher in the RPM range. I don't have a tach (ruins the "grandpa look") so I've been hesitant to manually shift it.

I will add, on a brighter note (and this is going to sound unbelievable) but the car averaged 35MPG to the track!!!!!!!!!!! I was SHOCKED!!!!!!!!!!!
        1989 Town Car Cartier: 3G Alt. Upgrade, Mark VIII Electric Fan, Police Interceptor Suspension, 40-series Flows, loaded. HO+ Conversion: E7 heads, Cobra 1.7RR's, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, FMS "E" Camshaft, 4-hole 19lb/hr injectors, A9P ECM, 76mm C&L MAF, BBK CAI. 338,000Km, stock bottom-end.

Comment

Don't have the number offhand. I just went to the dealer and asked for the governor for a 1988 Mustang with a 5.0 and an AOD. They handed me the correct part.

Don't feel bad. Your car does what mine did, and I had no tire spin. At least yours shows ehh times with a lack of traction. Mine just showed ehh times.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
            Don't have the number offhand. I just went to the dealer and asked for the governor for a 1988 Mustang with a 5.0 and an AOD. They handed me the correct part.

Don't feel bad. Your car does what mine did, and I had no tire spin. At least yours shows ehh times with a lack of traction. Mine just showed ehh times.
            OK, how involved was it to install, and what does it look like? My buddy at the auto parts store could find no reference to it, as I wanted to get it installed before we went to the track, but that obviously didn't happen.

I cannot believe the gas mileage now. it's unreal. I put in 20 bucks today, after driving 500Km yesterday, and the gauge has not MOVED, and I've put 50Km on it. I'm still 1 bar above half...............

Comment

Google tells me E8ZZ-7C063-A is the likely part number. I would definitely confirm that first though.

I didn't install it, but my understanding is that all you do is pull the driveshaft, pull the tailshaft housing, and the governer is held in with 2 screws. Its a fairly small item, fits in a box the size of maybe 2 packs of smokes. You'll also need the tailshaft gasket. Might want to replace the rear seal for the transmission while you're in there too.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yeah I am going install a HO gov in Anabelle when I get the chance, the trans seal back there is leaking anyways. At first I said holy shit 35mpg, then I noticed the 3.27 gears. I have 3.55 and I get like 20 on the highway. I think my injectors and my spark plugs are crap though heheh. All that will be fixed this summer. I also have a rocker arm rattle at WOT around 3K rpm, then it goes away. I shifted her at 5200 out of first today, the HO cam will scream if you let it out up there.
                1989 Lincoln Town Car - "Anabelle" - Original block, .030 over with SpeedPro pistons, rods fitted with ARP hardware, FRPP +volume oil pump, GT-40 3bar heads, Crane 1.72 rockers, 89' Fox cam, 93' Cobra lower intake, Explorer upper and 65mm TB, 93' Lightning EGR spacer, K&N intake kit from a 4.0L Ranger, 19lb/hr injectors w/ 87 Mark VII ECM, cat/smog deletes, Big Brake conversion, 3.55 K-Code Trac-Lok/Disc brake rear axle, CVPI LCA's w/1" sway bar in rear, wagon front sway bar, BBK 2.5" off-road H-Pipe, Flowmaster super 40s, HPP wheels, 3G alternator w/LMR.com wiring kit, gear reduction starter conversion, Best 1/4 time: 16.0 @ 85mph.

Comment

lucky bastages. i'm lucky to get 10 MPG
                  LTD is still here

Comment

Originally posted by 1987LTDmasta View Post
                    lucky bastages. i'm lucky to get 10 MPG
                    Well, the car has NEVER got gas mileage like this. The best it used to average was 25MPG, so it now getting 35, I would attribute 100% to the MAF conversion.

Comment

35mpg?! Something isn't right there...I have to see it to believe it.
                      '89 Ford LTD Crown Vic - '92 Ford F-150 Custom -
                      '95 Ford Bronco XL -

sigpic :rebel:

Comment

when you see the second yellow, floor it!
                        suprisingly when i floor my towny, no spin, it just scoots......best so far 15.91 at 88 mph

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                        2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                        1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                        1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                        2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Originally posted by boXman View Post
                          35mpg?! Something isn't right there...I have to see it to believe it.

Come on up, I'll take ya for a drive and show ya hehe!

Comment

35mpg ... .wow.... my 3.27 car got more like 20-22 stock, even on pretty long trips. I suppose advanced ignition timing could make a difference, but probably not that kind of difference. And your combo seems pretty basic.... unless of course the cam is one of the ones supposed to increase fuel economy over stock, but you say it feels a lot fatter than that.... weirdness! :p
                            2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

I think there is something not right with the calcs if it's getting 35.

17.70....Yeah, that's sad. 17.35 with a bone stock 91 Marq... Definately got some issues there, because the MPH is very low too.

It's pretty easy to manually shift the car without a tach...just listen and feel what the car is doing. Same deal as with a mustang AOD for shifting... Put it in first, hold it until you want it to shift, stick it in D wind it up a bit and pull it back into first (holds second...) then if you need 3rd put it back in D after you wind second out.
                              Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Working...
                              X