Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

why is it that longtubes dont work on panthers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

why is it that longtubes dont work on panthers?

im curious since i hear everyone say longtubes wont fit on our cars. what exactly is in the way and can something be done about it to fit longtubes? i mean they fit them on fox body mustangs and thats a totally smaller car. theres a custom header shop about 50 miles from me that said they could make me some custom ones that would fit but it would probably cost 5-600 bucks. im willing to pay if thats the only option, and maybe some other people on here would be interested ( could probably get a better deal on them if they knew they were going to make more than one set) if they really can make a longtube header to fit our cars.

Clearance problems with the crossmember and the steering stuff mostly. I remember Tom (gmgt) did some test fitting with I think Torino headers a while back, there may be a post detailing what hit where. Duceandahalf has mid-length ones on his car, and he customized them to clear properly. Might want to look up his posts on the subject as well.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

If that custom header shop does quality work, you may want to just get them done there. That is a severely cheap quote, I haven't found anywhere in WI or IL to fab headers for less than twice that...

Comment

Originally posted by 87CrownVic View Post
        If that custom header shop does quality work, you may want to just get them done there. That is a severely cheap quote, I haven't found anywhere in WI or IL to fab headers for less than twice that...
        thats just for regular steel headers, but it would be better than nothing. they made my dad headers for his car 15 years ago. they also used to make headers for paul newman...so im not really questioning their quality too much.

Comment

tom tried a set of 72-79 torino chassis headers for a 302......would not clear the crossmember or the upper control arms.......tom also tried a set of ford truck 302 headers.....i do believe they failed badly also

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
          2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
          1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
          1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
          2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
          1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Originally posted by Lincolnmania View Post
            tom tried a set of 72-79 torino chassis headers for a 302......would not clear the crossmember or the upper control arms.......tom also tried a set of ford truck 302 headers.....i do believe they failed badly also
            i did look at the old thread where he test fitted different headers. ill probably stick with some cheap shorties for now, and bring the car down to the custom header shop so they can give me a more accurate price on them. ill probably go floor shifter since i see thats another thing that can get in the way. itll be for a 351 though, but not all that much different, the only thing i didnt like about them on my dads car was that they came below the oil pan being the lowest point on the car.

Comment

i had longtubes on a 73 cougar.......never again.......the starter used to get hot and burn up from the heat of the headers and i would have to remove the header to change the starter........damm gaskets used to blow all the time...

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
              2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
              1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
              1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
              2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
              1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

when i first did some looking at headers for mine i measured up the headers on my 74 E-300 and compaired them the car, the drivers side header would have fit, but the passenger side would not fit due to the starter and frame clearance.. also they would have hung below the frame about 4 inches.
                But i just got done tweeking a set of mid-length headers for a 66-77 bronco to fit my car. had to modify the shift linkage.
                sigpic

Comment

well, ive been considering a floor shifter anyhow, so if that would help id do that. ill probably do some experimenting later on down the road, and just stick with some cheap shortys for now.

Comment

The frame, steering, shifter linkage etc, all are in the way.
                    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

I'm wondering if the MAC long-tubes would fit....the #5 and #6 tubes go back and down....and yes, I'm well aware of MAC's problems....

Comment

Working...
                      X