I had brainstorm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had brainstorm

I had a brainstorm today during religion class (im going to hell anyway so...) has anyone hopped up an EFI 351 out of an F150 making it a massive torque-monster, and putting it in a box panther?. Or better yet, a 5.4L lightning engine (with proper hood modifications) Im going to save up for an engine swap after I get the exhaust done, and Im going over all of my options. Discuss.
    Last edited by hemihotrod402; 10-19-2009, 03:10 PM.
    Parts Car (Scrapped ) - Vicky - 1987 LTD Crown Victoria: 17x8 Gunmetal Gray Coys C-5 wheels, 235/55-17 Falken Ziex ZE-502 tires. 79 LTD Grille, Taillights, and Turn Signals, Blue LED Dash Lights, PI Rear Sway Bar, 140 MPH Speedometer, Dual Exhaust w/ Mustang Headers.
    New Project: Vicky II - 1981 Ford LTD: 61,XXX miles, virtually rust free. Currently For Sale

i also just found a roots style supercharger form Kenne Bell for the 5.8 that would be killer under there. How much of the 5 liter parts are interchangeable?
    Parts Car (Scrapped ) - Vicky - 1987 LTD Crown Victoria: 17x8 Gunmetal Gray Coys C-5 wheels, 235/55-17 Falken Ziex ZE-502 tires. 79 LTD Grille, Taillights, and Turn Signals, Blue LED Dash Lights, PI Rear Sway Bar, 140 MPH Speedometer, Dual Exhaust w/ Mustang Headers.
    New Project: Vicky II - 1981 Ford LTD: 61,XXX miles, virtually rust free. Currently For Sale

Comment

I think the POTM at CVN has a 5.4 lightning plant.
      sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

1. The 5.4 Lightning motor is a turd, with a rather weak set of connecting rods. Go take a look at NLOC.net, and see how many Generation-2 Lightning owners haven't had to replace an engine. It will take you a while to find them....

2. The 5.4 Lightning motor is merely a stupidly-expensive, and space-consuming way to make your car go fast. Whenever I see someone throwing tens of thousands of dollars at a 1999-up Lightning, only to get them into the 12-second-bracket, I see fools and their money soon parted. One of these days, should I ever actually become an attorney or psychologist, as I've threatened to, I might actually buy a blown-up 1999-2004 Lightning, and drop a pushrod 351W-based motor into it, fixing what Ford fucked up.

3. While Kenne-Bell compressors make a lot of grunt, their customer service sucks the asses off of a Chinese army. If you wish to see what it looks like in hell, or what living in Arkansas is like, contact Kenne-Bell about a product issue.

4. Want simple? Build a 408 stroker 351W, with AFR 225 heads, and a ported Edelbrock Super Victor intake for the 351W. With a good cam, you'll spend the rest of your natural life simply trying to get the car to hook up, and it will run forever on pump gas.

There you go.

Comment

To even think about fitting the 5.4 Lightning motor under the hood your talking at minimum a 5" cowl hood.

Stick to something 351 based and you will hate your life alot less.

a 408-418 351 based stroker will haul ass and scare the piss out of you for a street driven car.

Or.

if you are dead set on forced induction a Centrifugal supercharged 5.8L will also provide the same power/if not better and wont require a monstrous cowl hood.

Comment

Originally posted by Pirate View Post
            4. Want simple? Build a 408 stroker 351W, with AFR 225 heads, and a ported Edelbrock Super Victor intake for the 351W. With a good cam, you'll spend the rest of your natural life simply trying to get the car to hook up, and it will run forever on pump gas.
            Ok, that is possible (and it will cost less) I looked at the Super Victor Intake, what would you do about the upper end. It looks just like a carb hook-up, but has ports for fuel rails.

Comment

Originally posted by hemihotrod402 View Post
              Ok, that is possible (and it will cost less) I looked at the Super Victor Intake, what would you do about the upper end. It looks just like a carb hook-up, but has ports for fuel rails.
              Edelbrock sells an elbow for it that you then bolt the Throttle Body onto.

The elbow is summit part no. EDL-3847 for the low profile one (probably work best for fitting it under the hood) and the inlet on that is 90mm.

Comment

check it
                For discussions on performance modifications to the 5.0/5.8 engine. Includes engine swaps and whatever else you can think of.

there are some super vics with diff elbows in this thread

Also agreed with pirate stroker witha descent set of heads will be more than you will ever need. Or you can start throwing your money away like me and go turbo 351 for big steam its so expensive and i havent even collected very many parts yet haha

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
                Big plans

Comment

Originally posted by hemihotrod402 View Post
                  I had a brainstorm today during religion class (im going to hell anyway so...) has anyone hopped up an EFI 351 out of an F150 making it a massive torque-monster, and putting it in a box panther?. Or better yet, a 5.4L lightning engine (with proper hood modifications) Im going to save up for an engine swap after I get the exhaust done, and Im going over all of my options. Discuss.
                  Religion class is about as far from the real thing as Sex Ed is from the real thing.

Pirate, any reason you went with a 408 as opposed to a 393 or a 418?

I have been toying with turning my stock bottomed 351w into a stroker, but then the info I have is a few years out of date.
                  Owner of the only known 5 speed box wagon with a lift kit.
                  AKA, Herkimer the Hillbilly SUV.

Axle codes
                  Open/Lock/Ratio #
                  -----------------------
                  G / H / 2.26
                  B / C / 2.47
                  8 / M / 2.73
                  7 / - / 3.07
                  Y / Z / 3.08
                  4 / D / 3.42
                  F / R / 3.45
                  5 / E / 3.27
                  6 / W / 3.73
                  2 / K / 3.55
                  A / - / 3.63
                  J / - / 3.85

Comment

ok, so i priced everything up. The 408 is doable, just not all at once (and until after college, out of the question). If I make custom motor mounts, can I get the EFI 351 to set low enough that it wont stick out too far? I am willing to craft on a 2-3 inch cowl scoop. The 351 makes a lot more power than a stock 351, so if i come up with the engine, maybe along with the trickflow upper and lower manifold (supposed to fit the mustang?) until I come up with dinero (3-4 grand) for the stroker. Id be content with that much for now, maybe after im able to make it not my daily driver will I start the conversion. But the main concern would be clearance.

OR...351 out of a police car converted to EFI (easier fit) plus around here they are cheaper tham a truck engine ($450 vs 600+)
                    Last edited by hemihotrod402; 10-19-2009, 10:10 PM.

Comment

Fordstrokers, your source for small block ford stroker engines. 331-347-363-393-408-427

as far as I know the only fuel injected 351 intake that fits the stock hood with stock height mounts is the 93-95 f-150 lighting intake which is why I bought one haha. But they are stupid expensive, if you dont mind the whole sticking through the hood thing you could probably do a efi super victor with and edelbrock elbow and a big throttle body for about the same price as you would have in the upper and lower lightning intake.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
                      Big plans

Comment

im thinking about just making a 302 stroker (defiantly 347). I can just drop a mustang engine in, and still be able to play while I save. Then when I get enough money, get the kit and the block bored plus heads and all that crap. It would fit under the stock hood, would be close to 351 diameter, and I would still have 400 hp on tap

and than when I really get the money, get a DART block which would support even more power (600+ hp on a 302 block)
                        Last edited by hemihotrod402; 10-21-2009, 03:53 PM.

Comment

I don't know how much you can lower the motor with motor mounts. I'd be a lot more concerned about the intake and being sure to get a low profile one of those than messing with the mounts. If you're cool with a 2" cowl, you should be able to run damn near anything you want. I'm still convinced its doable with an un-modified hood using the correct parts though. I just don't want to buy a Vic to test that out. I know it can be done on a Lincoln, those have extra clearance underhood.
                          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by GoodSamaritan View Post
                            Religion class is about as far from the real thing as Sex Ed is from the real thing.
                            LOL
                            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

im still thinking 302 stroker unless I can find a lightning at the u pull on saturday (last trip for the year )

Comment

Working...
                              X