wot smell?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wot smell?

I get a faint odor through the vents (I always have heat on) after flooring it from a stop, I don't really know how to describe it, but it basically smells like under the hood dirt/gunk but warm. Not going through oil (level is normal and consistent...and it doesn't smell like burning oil). It's not spotless under the hood and I'm sure in some spots there are 19 years worth of gunk and dirt.

I had it happen in my white Grand Marquis as well, years ago. Does anyone know what else might cause it?
    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

What kind of shape are your valvecover gaskets in?

I've got a similar smell in my car. The rear of the left side gasket on my car has a bit of weep to it. I cleaned it up and put some RTV on it so I can put it off till next year. I'm hoping to be able to do an H/O upper and change all the hoses hiding back there at the same time I do the valvecover gaskets.
    Last edited by andymac0035; 11-08-2009, 01:52 AM.
    Former panther owner
    1981 CV 351 4bbl
    1991 CV 302 EFI

Comment

I have no idea, don't even think I know what they are. I am pretty new at this.
      sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Your valvecovers are the stamped steel pieces (usually painted black) on top of your cylinder heads.
        The gaskets are cork and prone to leaking. Some of the leaks are very slow and in places not easy to see.

......or you may just need to clean your engine bay......
        Last edited by andymac0035; 11-08-2009, 01:53 AM.
        Former panther owner
        1981 CV 351 4bbl
        1991 CV 302 EFI

Comment

Oh, those guys. I'll have a look tomorrow when I get a chance..I don't imagine they're expensive to replace and it probably wouldn't hurt.
          sigpic

Comment

They are a pain on EFI cars because you have to take the upper intake off to change the passenger side one.

I plan to use the steel core style gaskets when I do mine.
            Last edited by andymac0035; 11-08-2009, 01:54 AM.
            Former panther owner
            1981 CV 351 4bbl
            1991 CV 302 EFI

Comment

Could also be a pcv / breather leak. On the 89 I had the breather tube would pop out of the valve cover and allow the blow-by scent to get sucked into the vent intake. It is a very distinct gas-fumey type smell.
              sigpic
              https://www.facebook.com/jason.baker.1614
              1985 P43 Crown Vic, "Lightning Interceptor". Project is back on!
              1987 P72 Crown Vic, EFI 351W (not my conversion), rusty and crusty parts car.
              2006 Ford Fusion, 30MPG, premium sound, daily driver, 200K miles and still going.
              2011 Ford Fucus, 36MPG, Sync, wifey / baby mobile.

Comment

replace the pcv stuff and degrease the engine. The crud will cook and make for wierd smells and a non-working pcv system makes for more leaks.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                X