leaking front crank seal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

leaking front crank seal

This is on an EFI 351W. Timing cover crank seal is leaking. New seal was installed by a shop today. It is not leaking were the rubber seal meets the balancer. It is leaking where the metal ring of the seal meets the timing cover. I worked it a bit and it seems that the seal just didn't get set into the timing cover all the way towards the top of the seal. However, there is a tiny amount of seepage coming through when the truck sets.

Should I just take the truck back to the shop (again), or can I just put a little RTV sealant around the outer edge of the seal? So far, I'm not real excited about it, but I would have liked this to be clean cut and dry since a shop did it. Wish I was feeling better, I'd have done this shit myself.

I would take it back to the shop and make them fix there F up. Its not your job to fix things after a shop was payed to do it.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
    Big plans

Comment

Originally posted by 1980c10 View Post
      I would take it back to the shop and make them fix there F up. Its not your job to fix things after a shop was payed to do it.
      Absolutely!

Comment

They probably didn't paint any sealer on the metal lip of the seal. they don't sit quite flush with the timing cover, but it will seal if done right. I like Permatex #2 or any of that thin brown stinky gasket sealer crap for the outside part of oil seals.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Just a precaution to take...if you seal it with some silicone and then the leak persists the shop will likely not take the truck back to be fixed because someone has tampered with it.
          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
          my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
            Just a precaution to take...if you seal it with some silicone and then the leak persists the shop will likely not take the truck back to be fixed because someone has tampered with it.
            That's what I was thinkin'. Gonna run down and check it in a bit.

Comment

Wiped it clean and ran some errands. More seeped through. Going to take the truck back next week. God, I get tired of this shit.

Comment

Working...
              X