67 ltd WONT START!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

67 ltd WONT START!!!

DAMN!!! i just replaced the points (properly gapped), condenser on the distributor. the car ran like a champ! now it sits.. the car is parked on a hill, it had little or no gas in it. i added 3 gallons of gas. i tried to start the car. it would go rurururururu and wouldnt turn over and start. i gave the gas pedal a slight push and tried to start it. it almost started but didnt. i thought the battery was the culprit b/c it was so old, i changed the battery. i turned the key and it started and then stopped. now i when i turn the key i hear "tick tick tick tick tick" maybe i wrecked the starter trying to turn it on so many times?! maybe i flooded it?! im all out of ideas.
    if its the start where would that might located?!
    any help would be greatfull
    thanks fellas
    85 Ltd 4door

The "ticky" sound from the starter is the solenoid engaging the gear, but it seems like you're out of battery juice (again) to spin the thing - charge up the battery good, and attempt starting. Once car is running measure voltage at the battery, should be at least 13 volts, preferably around 14.

By the way, aren't you supposed to pump the throttle a few times before even turning the key? I always did this with my old Chev (Holley carb), floor the pedal and set the choke (manual choke) then push pedal to floor two more times and hit the start, she fired up every single time even after sitting under a foot of snow for about a month!

Comment

also if it sat for a while, the carb fuel bowl can be completly empty and just turning the engine over isent always enough. try finding the vent on the carb and by using a gas bottle, fill the carb up with fuel and that should be enough time to get the fuel flowing a gain. i do this to my boat every spring when i summerize it.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
      1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
      1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
      2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
      2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Yeah, I'm guessing since you didn't pump the pedal a couple of times, it had nothing to burn in order to get started. As Ivan mentioned, pumping the pedal sets the choke, and also uses a part of the carburetor called the accelerator pump to squirt a little bit of fuel into the engine to help it start. Pump it a few times and it'll probably start right up, provided you charge your battery back up again. And if that doesn't work, just dump a little bit of gas right down the carburetor bowls and it should take right off.

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
        1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
        But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

its a carb mang, gotta pump the pedal a couple times. Most carb cars are two pump chumps, but thats not a bad thing in this case.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

thanks mangs.
            carbs.. still learning lol
            sigpic
            67 Ltd tudor
            67 Ltd 4door
            85 Ltd 4door

Comment

charge the battery.......pump the pedal a few times then try to start it.......if it dont start check for spark.......if no spark, you got junk chinese points

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
              2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
              1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
              1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
              2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
              1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!

THE POINTS!! I REAJUSTED THE POINTS!! SHE LIVES!!!! HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!
                i got the car to run with start up fluid, it ran then i made a u turn to go down the hill i park my cars at. the car died and i lost all power. long story short i ended up facing oncoming traffic. a cop came by and helped me out. the cop told me he owns a 66 galaxie with a 289 motor. he told me to adjust the points and BAM! it started right up!! i adjusted the idle and it runs great!

gas was the problem facing up hill then spark when facing down hill.
                sigpic
                67 Ltd tudor
                67 Ltd 4door
                85 Ltd 4door

Comment

lol, well good thing you now know what her limitations are, haha!

Comment

Ah breaker points. Have you purchased and learned to operate a dwell-tach yet? Does the distributor on that allow on the fly dwell adjustments, or is it just a matter of tweaking the gap to get the right dwell?

PS, if you have NFC what I'm talking about, its time to learn the old school ignition systems

For what its worth, I had breaker points in my Beetle for about a month, then replaced that garbage with a Pertronix ignitor kit. Its a drop-in solid state electronic ignition thing that goes right in the stock distributor and plugs into the stock coil. Works great, and no points to meddle with. I had the points, a screwdriver and a matchbook in the glovebox for 4 years just in case and never once touched them.
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                      Ah breaker points. Have you purchased and learned to operate a dwell-tach yet? Does the distributor on that allow on the fly dwell adjustments, or is it just a matter of tweaking the gap to get the right dwell?

PS, if you have NFC what I'm talking about, its time to learn the old school ignition systems

For what its worth, I had breaker points in my Beetle for about a month, then replaced that garbage with a Pertronix ignitor kit. Its a drop-in solid state electronic ignition thing that goes right in the stock distributor and plugs into the stock coil. Works great, and no points to meddle with. I had the points, a screwdriver and a matchbook in the glovebox for 4 years just in case and never once touched them.

to tell you the truth i dont really know about the dwells. im really new at this. the only thing that i know is that the car has powersteering, brake booster and an elctronic choke, which was very odd. nice though. i only know these b/c the other galaxies that i test drove didnt have them.

yes, im going to buy a pertronix ignitor kit. the cop that helped me told me its definately worth the money.
                      sigpic
                      67 Ltd tudor
                      67 Ltd 4door
                      85 Ltd 4door

Comment

dwell is basically a fancier way of fine tuning the point gap. Its the amount of time in crankshaft degrees that the points are closed. Theres a spec in the book for it, and you check it with a dwell meter. Or, you just use a matchbook and gap the points and go down the road.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                          PS, if you have NFC what I'm talking about, it's time to go Duraspark and never look back
                          Fixed that.
                          2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Or that. Points suck and they went away for good reason.

Comment

but they can survive an EMP, whereas Duraspart and EFI can't :p

Comment

Working...
                              X