Misfire/hesitation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Misfire/hesitation

So after cruising around in the new '88 TC, I noticed some hesitation or misfiring during acceleration. I just got the car, and noticed this annoyance. It only happens during slow acceleration (maybe at 1/4 throttle) when the engine is warm, but accelerates fine cold. The warmer the engine gets, the worse the sputtering gets. But if i put my foot at lets say 1/2 throttle or better, warm or cold, it accelerates just fine. Previous owner replaced plugs and wires, claimed it was misfiring like a mother before. Any ideas?

Fuel filter, and change the distributor cap and rotor if it wasn't done. If thats no help, run the engine at night where its nice and dark and look for purple or blue glowing or arcing around the ignition parts, particularly the coil. If the coil is shooting purple sparks around the edges, replace it.

I'd also check it for codes, it might tell you something else of use.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

What type of code reader would I use? I'm not very familiar with the older cars. I used to curse the OBD II systems but i'd kill for that on this thing!

Comment

Are you in the US? If so ask your local AutoZone if they can pull your codes for free, or else consult your Haynes or Chilton manual about how to run your own test with just a piece of wire.
        2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by postmastrr View Post
          What type of code reader would I use? I'm not very familiar with the older cars. I used to curse the OBD II systems but i'd kill for that on this thing!
          Ford EEC IV tester. Not the stupid blinky light POS, thats a waste of money. If you're going to buy one, get one with a digital display They cost about the same and are a ton easier to use. If you're up for counting, you can do this for no money with directions found here:

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
          X