Speedometer correction with steeper gears

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speedometer correction with steeper gears

I have a 90 Grand Marquis with an electronically (VSS) driven speedometer. The plan is to upgrade stock 2.73 gears to 3.55s and add a limited slip diff.

My question is do I correct the speedometer/odometer by installing a different speedo gear just like with earlier cable driven speedometers, or do I need an electronic speedo corrector?

Yes it's the same as cable driven ones. I used the purple 21 tooth gear, but my speedo reads 5mph slow.
    2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
    2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
    2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
    1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Originally posted by pantera77 View Post
      Yes it's the same as cable driven ones. I used the purple 21 tooth gear, but my speedo reads 5mph slow.
      That seems odd. Is that the factory correct gear for a K-code rear axle car? Since 3.55's were an option, I would have thought you could just go to a dealer, get the right gear and be all set? Or do you have taller than stock tires?

Since I want 3.55's eventually, I'm really curious about this.
      Former panther owner
      1981 CV 351 4bbl
      1991 CV 302 EFI

Comment

Would an orange 20 teeth gear be more accurate?

Comment

depends on the specific gearing and tire size. check this out:

There are two different driven gears in the transmission, so the speedo gear you need will change depending on the tranny. I've used both a purple and an orange in my car at different points when i had different transmissions in there, and I have factory 3.55 gears. The speedo is very slightly out, I've calculated about 5% at 70 mph, meaning it shows 72-73 when I'm really doing 70. Oddly enough, when the speedo says 85, I'm doing 84. Its most inaccurate in the middle of the scale, which tells me the speedo is a little wonky, and the gearing is pretty balls on.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

That's interesting.
            So, according to that:
            All 89' and up AOD's have the 8-tooth drive gear? (as opposed to 7)
            8-tooth drive gear + 3.55's + 225's = 20.9 (closest being the 21 tooth purple gear?

Am I right so far?

Also, there is mention of a 23 tooth gear (I assume a 22 as well) but no listing on the chart......
            Former panther owner
            1981 CV 351 4bbl
            1991 CV 302 EFI

Comment

i used a 21 tooth with my 3.73s and it was spot on with the speedo

Comment

yep, later AOD uses a purple with a 3.55, early uses the orange. Early AOD uses a purple for 3.73

I think the 22 and 23 tooth gears are aftermarket. Should be able to get them through 50resto or one of those types of places.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

For 3.55 gears ....

7 Tooth drive gear requires a Tan 19T driven gear
                  8 Tooth drive gear requires a Purple 21T driven gear

My car has a 7 Tooth speedo drive gear, running a 225/60/16 tire, the 19T driven gear is perfect.

this is the correct formula to use;

drive gear teeth x axle ratio x tire rev. per mile / 1000

Assuming you are running a stock tire size (215/70/15) it would look like this;

8 x 3.55 x 751 / 1000 = 21.32

in this instance you would need a 21T purple gear.

this is a good site to figure out what the tire revolutions per mile are;

Last edited by 88grandmarq; 12-24-2009, 11:15 PM.
                  2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
                  89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
                  88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

Working...
                  X