Help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help?

ok so heres the deal. I have a 1986 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park station wagon complete with wood!!! When ever im going down the road,one of th ebelts will start to whine out of nowhere then shortly after,the steering wheel feels heavier than usual? When i turned into our driveway yesterday,it was moaning all sorts of stuff. I think its the power steering pump cuz when im parked, if i move the wheel, it will squeak sumthin terrible. Also lately idk if its cuz ofthe cold ass weather we have here, and the car dosent like it, but her belts will squeal sumthin horrible sumtimes. The mechanics looked at it a couple weeks ago and said they were just a lil loose,nuthin to be concerned with. .but here lately,its gotten worse,esp on a cold start. I let it run for like 10-15 minutes then drive off.and when i give it gas,it just squeals.its really embarassing and annoyin!!!! Any and all help will be appreciated guys!!
    1986 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park A.K.A "Christine"TRADED.......Gone to a better home hopefully.

2009 Ford Taurus SEL New DD

sounds like your power steering pump is seizing up, or your serpentine belt is very close to dead. Or both, since a seized power steering pump will kill a belt very quickly.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
    160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
    waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

I second what johnunit said.
      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Just to add, since I didn't really go into how to diagnose:

Your next step is probably to pull the serpentine belt. If it looks really sort of melted/burnt, then you likely have a seized power steering pump, but if it looks really old and dried and cracked, it's probably just the belt itself. Either way, I'd just buy a new belt (under 20 bucks) and see if it fixes it. If it doesn't, start looking at replacing the pump. You don't want to drive too much with the power steering pump seized, as it will eat the belt, and if the belt goes, your alternator isn't being spun to re-charge the battery, meaning you may not get home.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
        160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
        waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

replace the belt first. It sounds like its loose and slipping. It could be the PS pump dying, but if the belt is loose and sliding across the pulley, it won't have any assist. When belts age, they stretch and the ribs underneath peel away so they have little traction.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

replace the belts first......top off all fliuds

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
            2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
            1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
            1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
            2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
            1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

When you replace the belt, check the PS pump pulley turns freely if its obviously seized you have got to change it, Not too expensive but a good days project.
              "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
              1985 GMC 1500

Comment

As always

thanx guys really!!!!!neva ceases to amazeme the amount of knowledge on this board. I went to a mechanic today and got an estimate:$1,071.12!!!! He said the steering gear,the pump,hoses and gear box all need to be replaced??? Not happy as it sounds simpler to what u guys r recommending.And my heat still wont blow.Last year when i had the core replaced.apparently sum insulation or sumthin was getting stuck in the "doors" and not closing.it gets warm and i can feel sum hot air,it just dosent come out in any kind of force whatsoever,any clues??? I'm limited to what i know about cars,i have read around on the board and seen some familar problems,but then it goes all nerdy on me and words and phrases i dont know start showing up and im lost.so in lamens terms,what do i need to do???at this rate,i am about 2k or more in this car and its not even worth that altho it is in gud condition compared to others ive seen.
                1986 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park A.K.A "Christine"TRADED.......Gone to a better home hopefully.

Comment

Might be a blower if its just not blowing, I don't know a whole lot about heating and cooling systems though.
                  "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
                  1985 GMC 1500

Comment

thanx for the quick replies

yea the blower was replaced recently??? not sure got to look at the receipts. I wish i did know more about cars. I want to learn but have no one to show me!!!!
                    I do realize the car is 24 years old but i want her to be more reliable than she is.I just spent 379 bucks on tires for her,pretty whitewalls,which imho look better anyhow than the ones in my pics.esp when cleaned up i get a lot of looks and offers on a daily basis.Except when she squeals and embarasses the hell out of me!!!! lol

Comment

Ha, it happens, I spent 2 hrs in the parking lot of my moms work yesterday trying to get her car started, its an 85 cutlass, turns out it was a busted vacuum line, Shit breaks on old cars, But I think once you get most of the preliminary stuff out of the way youll find you have a reliable ride. As for learning there is plenty of help on this forum, most everyone knows a good deal, so start with smaller projects, and if you need help snap some pics and post em. Usually everyone jumps at the gun to help another GMN member out.
                      1985 GMC 1500

Comment

chyea

Ive noticed that and i love it!!!! I saw a car just like mine the otherday and told the guy about this site.He was the original owner and was computer literate so i told him to come on thru.his was identical to mine except it had like new paint.I love my boat!!!! The only other thin i would really want is a newer crown vic or charger!!!IF i cant have them ill keep my woodie!!!!Shes my daily driver so i need her runnin!!!! and again thanx guys.....keep the comments coming on her bellyache!!!! lol

Comment

check your PMs... I am local to you and I can help !
                          2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
                          89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
                          88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

cool beans

hopefully we can get her looked at for a hell of a lot cheaper than what my mechanic wants.

Comment

Working...
                            X