Problems.. I Need help!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problems.. I Need help!!!

hello everyone, I've been having some strange problems as of late.. Hopefully one of you can put the clues together to help me out with a solution...This all started weeks back when I begin having startup problems in which the car would not crank but only whine & hesitate.. I initially thought it was a bad starter, but after my mechanic played around with the air box it started just fine.. It puzzled us both, but I continue to drive it as normal.. The problem persisted every so often but opening the airbox would correct it.. On a sidenote when the problem occurs, I can't hear the "hiss" that comes before cranking the car. OK now today as I was driving doing about 45, the car cut off and Thank God I was able to roll & wheel(w/ no power steering) to a nearby parking lot.. This time the "airbox fix" didn't work... Any help would be appreciated... Also another thing I have been noticing lately is when I shift out of Park to Drive or Reverse, it will sometime hesitate & shutter until I give it some gas...
    @Ryan.Madison68

I don't see how the airbox would have any effect on it. Unless it was clogged to the point no air could get through it. I don't see how it would be related.
    If I leave my car outside in the cold, it will not start for shit, barley turn over, and if it does start won't even come close to idleing and run like pure shit. I've dismissed it that the car is simply in a bad mood when not in a cozy garage.

Also, huge sig pic is huge.
    2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
    2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
    2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
    1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

im guessing this is for that nice white 2door? are you removing the whole air box? lol you might be moving/disturing a bad wire or relay for the fuelpump everytime you fidle with the air box. the car is SEFI or CFI? a little more info would be helpful lol

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
      1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
      1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
      2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
      2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

yes it is stock so i'm guessing CFI...
        @Ryan.Madison68

Comment

Originally posted by LeviMM View Post
          yes it is stock so i'm guessing CFI...
          SEFI was stock on 302 cars starting in 1986. "Air box" suggests SEFI (so '86-'87 judging by the car's nose and the fact that it's a two-door), though I suppose you could us that term to refer to the carb-style circular air cleaner CFI cars got.

Early 302 cars and all 351 cars got carbs, BTW.
          2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Thanks 4 the correction.. it's SEFI..
            @Ryan.Madison68

Comment

I would guess the the "hiss" you aren't hearing is the fuel pump.
              The FP relay lives under the drvr seat in the 'Stang, is it near the air box
              on the Panthers?

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

Originally posted by mitymerc View Post
                I would guess the the "hiss" you aren't hearing is the fuel pump.
                The FP relay lives under the drvr seat in the 'Stang, is it near the air box
                on the Panthers?
                It is mounted on the drivers side fender near the front of the car.
                ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

What year is the car, Ill have to talk with my dad to know for sure, But our town car a 98, would cut off like that because of an air problem, Sometimes on the highway, had an issue with a sensor that was causing it to not get enough air.
                  "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
                  1985 GMC 1500

Comment

It is an 86 or 87 for sure.
                    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Thanks all the pics are blocked in school, Im not sure if the same issue would apply then. That car also had a chafe in the a wire in the transmission case, causing wierd electrical problems as well, as far as I know that was fixed before the air issue.
                      "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
                      1985 GMC 1500

Comment

Originally posted by LeviMM View Post
                        Thanks 4 the correction.. it's SEFI..
                        What's in the airbox? Is it clogged? Did an animal build a nest or something in it impeding air flow? That could be the problem, and now you sucked something into the throttle body. Take off the air box and elbow off of the throttle body and see if there's anything in the throttle body. Try to start it. Check inside the airbox and stuff. But be careful, whatever is in there might be alive.

Comment

Check the wiring around the relays just behind the washer bottle. One is for the fuel pump, one is the ECM, one is the horn, and one is for the AC. If the wiring on the ECM or horn relays is in bad shape, that might be the problem. Wiggle the wires to make sure they aren't ready to fall out of the connectors as well. One of the fuel pump relay wires on my car will fall out of the socket, and make the car not run. I used a zip tie to hold it in place until I can remember to buy a new connector.
                          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Thanks I'll try that out... The car is an '87...
                            @Ryan.Madison68

Comment

Thanks 4 everyone's help.. It was the fuel pump... It started right up with some starter fluid in the airbox...I will be having my mechanic replace it.. Any suggestions on the best fuel pumps for these cars?
                              @Ryan.Madison68

Comment

Working...
                              X