underdrive pulleys and ptv clearance gt40p's and lopo pistons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

underdrive pulleys and ptv clearance gt40p's and lopo pistons

On the under drive pulleys, if this is for a 5.0, what is a safe percent of under drive that still will get power to all the stuff that needs power, like the ac, and alternator?
    "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
    1985 GMC 1500

theres really only one company that even makes an underdrive for the 5.0 panther, so whatever size that is, thats the one to get You will want to upgrade the alternator though, the stock one just won't keep up with an underdrive pulley.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

3g I assume? Ive got a question about some heads also, I posted in the 5.0 tech section, maybe you could answer about clearance of gt40p heads on a lopo engine with the flat piston heads and valves? I just don't want to thread jack here.
      "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
      1985 GMC 1500

Comment

Apparently they are dished and not relieved, so it should work according to lincolnmania, he said he would be concerned if it were the 86 or 87 because those pistons were flat top. Sorry for misinformation.
        1985 GMC 1500

Comment

Originally posted by 91grandmarquis View Post
          Apparently they are dished and not relieved, so it should work according to lincolnmania, he said he would be concerned if it were the 86 or 87 because those pistons were flat top. Sorry for misinformation.
          Ahhh gotcha. lincolnmania is pretty informed the SBF's.

Still, if you're gonna swap heads on anything always make sure to test your piston-to-valve clearance, whether anyone says it will work or not.
          1998 Mercury Grand Marquis 131k~ true duals, 2nd cat removed, H-pipe, Xcelerator Turbo mufflers, PI Manifold, 180* Tstat, K&N drop-in.
          1985 VW Vanagon 70k~

Comment

Yeah I know, what is the best way to go about doing that?
            1985 GMC 1500

Comment

easy way is to stick a blob of modeling clay on top of the piston, bolt the head down with a head gasket (used but intact is OK, as long as its the exact same type gasket you plan to use for assembly) and rotate the engine through 2 revolutions to get all the valve events. Measure how thick the clay is where the valves pushed it down, and thats your ptv clearance.
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I am assuming that I will only have to do this on 1 piston, as the rest should be the same?
                1985 GMC 1500

Comment

right. if its OK on one cylinder, it should be OK on the other 7 unless something was done very wrong when the motor or heads were assembled.

Comment

Ok thats what I thought, but you know what assuming does...
                    1985 GMC 1500

Comment

Here is the under drive pulley for the crankshaft. Midway down the page. You gotta call to order. Website has been funky for a while.

~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

just curious:

How much PTV clearance do you need in a street engine to account for high-rpm stretching/slop/whatever?

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                        160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                        waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                          Here is the under drive pulley for the crankshaft. Midway down the page. You gotta call to order. Website has been funky for a while.

http://www.aspracing.com/ford.htm
                          $150!
                          2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                          2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                          2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                          1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Yeah, they are pricey, that will be a later modification.
                            1985 GMC 1500

Comment

supply and demand.......and they are the only place on the planet that makes the underdrive pulley.........yea i know i cant afford one either

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                              2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                              1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                              1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                              2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                              1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Working...
                              X