From CFI to HO Carb conversion???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From CFI to HO Carb conversion???

Still hoping to do the engine swap this summer after the family vacation. Just thought i would throw some questions regarding the rest of the drive train. The engine I am putting in is a HO crate motor from an 89 stang w/ gt40p heads and e303 cam. Fly wheel HP based apon 1/4 mile calculations was about 320. I will probably put an edelbrock 600 or so cfm carb and intake on it. Probably a 100 nitrous shot also. My question regards the stock AOD, torque converter and driveshaft. How much HP can these handle? Will 400+ HP (on bottle) be too much? My rear end is a stock 3.08 open, but later as time and money dictate will up grade to 3.73 limited slip. Cant wait to get this project off the ground.

2011 Grand Marquis LS Ultimate Edition
    Dual Exhaust w/ AP XLerator mufflers and 3 1/2" tips, Eibach 1" rear sway bar, Pioneer Head unit and speakers, 17X8 Drag DR-72 wheels

RIP 1984 2Dr Crown Vic "The Millennium Falcon"
    Carbed 5.0 HO w/nitrous , Performer RPM intake, GT40P heads, E303 cam, FRP Shorties, FRP 9mm plug wires, Off-Road H-pipe, Magnaflow round mufflers, 2000 rpm stall
    NA-15.78@91.21, 80hp shot-14.48@96.21

I recall reading that they are good for up 400ish, but that's right on the edge. I could be wrong, I guess further responses will tell you
    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

for 400 the tranny will need a rebuild and some upgrades big time but a good performance rebuild kit will work. most on here will tell you to get at least a 2400 stall converter. the E cam doesnt kick in till after 2500 rpms ( i had one and found out the hard way) but the 3.73s will help when you get them. a 600cfm carb is plenty for the motor

Comment

400 for a stocker.....this is assuming all is in like new condition......best bet is to have a 89+ aod core built up to handle the power

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
        2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
        1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
        1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
        2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

That converter will swell up if you spin it too hard. Doesn't hurt the tranny, but it will wipe out the thrust bearing in the motor, and the crankshaft will slop back and forth. Certainly not ideal.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

with a good valve body the aod will handle 500hp

that e303 will suck with a stock converter, and a stock converter will baloon on nitrous and wipe out the thrust bearings

being an edelbrock carb, Id go bigger on the carb

Comment

Would a higher stall torque converter be less streetable? Even with a stock converter an HO e303 motor should perform a lot better than the stock lopo cfi. If necessary a lower nitrous shot can be used to avoid over taxing the stock converter.

2011 Grand Marquis LS Ultimate Edition
              Dual Exhaust w/ AP XLerator mufflers and 3 1/2" tips, Eibach 1" rear sway bar, Pioneer Head unit and speakers, 17X8 Drag DR-72 wheels

RIP 1984 2Dr Crown Vic "The Millennium Falcon"
              Carbed 5.0 HO w/nitrous , Performer RPM intake, GT40P heads, E303 cam, FRP Shorties, FRP 9mm plug wires, Off-Road H-pipe, Magnaflow round mufflers, 2000 rpm stall
              NA-15.78@91.21, 80hp shot-14.48@96.21

Comment

depends on the converter and how loose your talking, but generally, no not at all

Comment

Working...
                X