Need help with 1987 5.0 in Town Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help with 1987 5.0 in Town Car

Hi. I was told to come here by a real nice guy from lincolnvscadillac.com. He said you guys may be able to help. Here's my problem.

I have an 87 Lincoln Town Car that is a limo. I really need to get it running before Homecoming for my kids. Ok I have an 87 TC that is a limo. It had a bad coil so I replaced it. I was looking for vacuum leaks and ended up (dont ask) taking off the throttle position sensor. I put it back on and off we went. We made a couple stops and then put gas in and headed out of town. Got to town about 15 miles and it acted like it was out of gas and then died. Couldnt get it to stay running. Towed it back home and changed the fuel filter. It started up fine and good. Let it run for about a 30 minutes and went for a drive. Got about 2 miles and the same thing. Towed it again. Changed the filter again but this time it wouldnt start.

So I figured I messed up the TPS. Put a new one on and it started. It takes several turns of the motor to start When it does it idles fine but you touch the gas and it stumbles and wants to die.

Finally got the TPS adjusted properly and it will start but it takes a few tries before it takes. If you hit the throttle hard it stumbles and sometimes dies. I can get it in gear and it will stay running but if I go to move it will die. The thing smells real gassy too.

Everything checks out. Gas pressure is 39, EGR appears to be working, there's no gas coming from the vacuum nozzles of the fuel regulator, the coolant sensor changes resistance with the temp of the coolant and the PCV rattles and the spring moves freely. I'm about to send it to the scrap yard but the kids love it.

I've been to many forums and non have been able to help to resolve this. I'm kind of at my wits end with this. What would you fellas do if this was in your driveway? I would really REALLY appreciate any help I can get to get this beast running again. thanks

jeremy

One more thing. My dad ran the codes and all he said was that they were 53 and 34. I'm going to get the code reader myself and check it tomorrow. Also it does this regardless of being hot or cold. Exact same thing either way.

Code 53 means your throttle position sensor is set too high. And code 34 comes up as a EVP EGR valve not responding both of which will give you those symptoms you just named. Also check the MAP sensor and the vacumn hoses running from it, they just might be pinched off under your intake manifold from the vacumn suction. Due to the age of the rubber vacumn hoses they sometimes collapse. Just my 2 cents. Also if the idle screw has been tampered with it needs to be set properly back to ford specs before you set the TPS if not you will never get it right
    Last edited by gstak07; 09-30-2010, 10:18 PM.
    sigpic351w .030, B303, 1.6 Roller Rockers, GT40P Heads Mild Port Job,351w Lightning Lower & Explorer Upper,65mm TB, Custom CAI, 24# Injectors, Adj FPR, 1/2 Phenolic Spacer, TPS Enhancer, Shift Kit, 2400 Stall, Hi-Rev Govenor, MMC Alcoa Driveshaft, 3.73 Trac Lok, Underdrive Pulleys, Electric Fan, MSD Street Fire Coil, MSD 6AL Ignition 12.35 @114 mph spinning through 1st gear

Comment

Thanks for the reply. The idle screw han't been touched as far as I know. It's got to be something simple and I'm sure it's right in front of my face. This just came on suddenly out of the blue.

I did take the EGR off and cleaned it up. The diaphram holds and if I mess with it when running the car runs like crap.

jeremy

Comment

Make sure you use a new gasket for the EGR valve. Otherwise you'll end up with a HUGE vacuum leak there.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

As I found out a few months ago, a lot of problems with these EFI 5.0L engines affect the EGR system. When I ran the codes for a similar problem, it told me the EGR system was bad. I replaced everything for the EGR system and it turned out to be a bad fuel pump. Check your fuel pressure (if you got a fuel pressure guage) with the ignition on and engine off. Then start her up and check the pressure again.

Packman

Comment

I have 39psi for the fuel pressure. I can get open the throttle on it pretty high but half the time it stumbles real bad when move the throttle. I'm at a loss.

Comment

Ok I ran the coeds again myself this time. I did the test 3 times and I got:

KOEO code 11

KOER first scan was 12, 13 and 94. Last two was just 12

Any ideas?

Comment

Congratulations, your KOEO code, 11 means all systems OK.

Code 12 is RPM at idle high
                Code 13 is RPM at idle low
                Code 94 is Air diverter solenoid circuit fault

Did you ever find the Idle screw and figure out if it was set right?
                Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

Pull the iac off and clean it. That's the IAC code. It sounds like it's gummed up with oil and stuff. IAC is on the throttle body, behind the TPS. Cylindrical looking thing. 2 10mm bolts, use a new gasket.

Comment

12 and 13 at the same time is usually a bad IAC. I've only ever seen that happen once and it was with a new aftermarket IAC. A used Ford one fixed the problem.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

There's nothing in the haynes book on it to find it. I'm not sure this car has one.

Comment

It should have one. it is on the throttle body. Like vicky said..the cylindrical looking thing.

~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                        my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Oh the BYC-ISC or something like that. I have it right here in front of me actually. I was cleaning it to see if it would help. I'll call see if I can get a new one.

Comment

Originally posted by jubylives View Post
                            I put it back on and off we went. We made a couple stops and then put gas in and headed out of town. Got to town about 15 miles and it acted like it was out of gas and then died. Couldnt get it to stay running.
                            Did you buy gas from a place you always use? If not, drain and refill from a known good station.
                            Check your fuel lines carefully. Given its a limo, theres line added, if it starts sucking air, your not going to go far. (cracked, rusted lines. loose, rotten hoses).

Alex.

Comment

^why would the lines suck air if the fuel pump is in the gas tank?lol but, your right. its not a bad idea to check the fuel system and fuel filter.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                              1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                              1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                              2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                              2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Working...
                              X