differences between 302 and 351 windsor dual exhausts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

differences between 302 and 351 windsor dual exhausts

just found a loaded '91 P72 with a 351w in the yard that has a brand new catless exhaust from the exhaust manifolds back for $40.

so are the stock 302 and 351 h pipes the same size? if they are ill be able to use that too.
    1988 MGM GS - Preferred Equipment Package 172A; InstaClear

1980 Lincoln Continental Coupe
    1994 MGM GS Montigua
    2005 F150 Lariat Scab 4x4 3.73 LS
    2002 Mustang GT Coupe

That really is very tempting, BUT the 351W is wider than the 302 and so the H-pipes will not interchange!!:cry:

Still thats a great deal!!!

Comment

iv inter changed stock panther H pipes from my 302 merc to my 351 lincoln. is it a fox catless H pipe?

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
      1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
      1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
      2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
      2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

the H pipe back is the same, the pipes from the manifolds back to the H pipe are not the same.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Is the 351 exhaust a bigger diameter than the 302's 2 inch?

Comment

no. its exactly the same from the H pipe on back, and the front pipes are merely longer and wider. Same size, etc.
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

You can use the duals from after the cats. Including the intermediate h-pipe. mufflers, and tailpipes. But not the cats up to the manifolds as far as I know. Pipe size is the same 2in.
              1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
              1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
              Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
              Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

thanks guys, im goin back to grab it now.
                1988 MGM GS - Preferred Equipment Package 172A; InstaClear

1980 Lincoln Continental Coupe
                1994 MGM GS Montigua
                2005 F150 Lariat Scab 4x4 3.73 LS
                2002 Mustang GT Coupe

Comment

Oh, that's right, the stock arrangement used basically the same exhaust logs with either engine, didn't it?

My point of reference is the aftermarket Mustang junk lots of guys adapt, which frequently involves "swap" tubular manifolds like the BBK 1511 - which, in my iota of experience, bolt up just fine to direct-fit Mustang crossover pipes.
                  2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

yup, same manifolds, different pipes to account for the difference in block size.

Comment

so if you're going with 351 swap headers on a 351 car, the headers dump at the same spot as the stock 302 manifolds?

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                      160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                      waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

pretty much yes. Those headers are designed to work with a Mustang H pipe, so the header outlets may not be exactly where the manifolds landed but its pretty close. They would land at the same spot as a 302 with shorty headers would though.

Comment

Yep, just keep in mind that my experience fitting an OOTB crossover pipe to the 1511s isn't universal (some folks claim it didn't work for them).

Comment

^^ I'll keep that in mind. I'll probably have an exhaust shop do it, so I'll just budget another 100 or so in case they have to butcher the crossover to make things fit.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                            160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                            waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

But you don't need to pay someone to install a bolt-on crossover pipe ..... :confused:

Comment

Working...
                              X