1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS

Okay I was wondering since my grand Marquis has been sitting a while what should I look into replacing? The master cylinder need to be replaced, the coolant flushed asap! It's brown and full of rust! And there are 2 rust bubbles on the body that I will be sanding. Lastly the battery tray and passenger side fender is rusty. I just need to know what needs to be a priority. The oil and trans fluid are excellent, the drive axle looks like it's leaking but my dads brand new truck looks nearly identical. It runs super smooth and no smoke. Has new alternator and newer radiator. Please let me know! Thanks

Btw sorry this is such a babbling post. I'm on my iPhone, it's too cold in my room to be on my comp :p
    "Charleston" the 1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS sedan

My priority list:
    1. what makes it stop.
    2. what makes it go.
    3. Structural integrity (rusty frame? fix it before beating too much pavement)
    4. leaks.
    5. comfort (HVAC)
    6. looks.

If you have trouble stopping the car... get the brakes sorted first. It's never fun trying to stop a car that doesn't want to stop.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

A tune up won't hurt. Animals like to chew on wires and hoses. I replace all hoses after a car has set for a long while. Plug wires, plugs, sometimes belt(S) too. Get ready for it to leak like crazy too. Can't forget fuel and air filters along with an oil and filter change. Flush the coolant like you wish. I have the best luck with drain and hot water fills until it runs clear, then filling with 100% antifreeze (about half the system is still full after a "drain," so you end up with a close 50/50 mix).

AOD should be okay for a while. Check the grease in the rear. If it's full on the filler plug, you're fine.

My problem with these cars and sitting has been the front brake calipers sticking. Check out your brake system. Get inside and stomp the pedal several times. get under the car and look for funny looking hoses or leaky lines. Rust is an issue if they are original. All of my boxes with original brake lines have had them bust (especially the one that goes over the tranny crossmember).

And if it's rusty structurally, that needs to be fixed ASAP. Nothing like your frame breaking in two while running 65mph.
      1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
      1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
      Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
      Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

I would also stress giving the entire brake system a thorough inspection.

2011 Grand Marquis LS Ultimate Edition
        Dual Exhaust w/ AP XLerator mufflers and 3 1/2" tips, Eibach 1" rear sway bar, Pioneer Head unit and speakers, 17X8 Drag DR-72 wheels

RIP 1984 2Dr Crown Vic "The Millennium Falcon"
        Carbed 5.0 HO w/nitrous , Performer RPM intake, GT40P heads, E303 cam, FRP Shorties, FRP 9mm plug wires, Off-Road H-pipe, Magnaflow round mufflers, 2000 rpm stall
        NA-15.78@91.21, 80hp shot-14.48@96.21

Comment

As the others have said, having a good braking system should be on the top of your check-list!
          '79 Continental Town Car
          '90 Crown Victoria LTD
          '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

yeah brakes first man coolant and fluids next
            sigpicTHE H.I.D MASTER
            87 mercury grand marquis
            88 crown vic lx
            89 mercury colony park ls (sold)
            89 mercury grand marquis (sold)
            00 ford crown vic lx hpp
            03 mercury marauder aka punisher (sold )

Comment

Okay well I will definitely do the master cylinder asap! But I'll post picture of the underbody of my car and if you guys don't mind giving me pointers but is it better to do the brake lines yourself or let someone else do it? Could you give steps in doing brake lines. I am definitely going to replace all shotty hoses. The radiator and under engine hose especially. However until I get my first pay check should it last me a month or so after the coolant flush and all? Thanks so far guys! I really appreciate it! I just want the experts help for my dream car
              "Charleston" the 1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS sedan

Comment

relevant to my interests

im working on a similar project. restoring an abandonded (for 4 years) 88 gm. the brakes were the one thing that worked crazy good when it was parked. I say crazy good cause they locked up in a corner and spun the car around. lets just say they were quite sensitive.

so it was almost out of fuel when it was parked, im going to put fresh oil, filter, and fuel in it. (draining existing fuel via forum suggestion). i was going to do new plugs and wires but im going to hope that can wait.

the first real PITA thing im going to need to do once its running is fix the heater core. anyone wanna link me to a thread for that?
                max

Comment

there's a good one with pics and all. doesn't point out every bolt, just goes over the main idea.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by tyler_hubbard2003 View Post
                    Okay well I will definitely do the master cylinder asap! But I'll post picture of the underbody of my car and if you guys don't mind giving me pointers but is it better to do the brake lines yourself or let someone else do it? Could you give steps in doing brake lines. I am definitely going to replace all shotty hoses. The radiator and under engine hose especially. However until I get my first pay check should it last me a month or so after the coolant flush and all? Thanks so far guys! I really appreciate it! I just want the experts help for my dream car
                    brake lines shouldnt be a problem, you can get replacement lenghths, or a length of tube and bend/flange it yourself (not that hard) i had to do a fuel line on a carb in a parking lot after i noticed my line was cracked in half and leaking fuel on the top of the intake.
                    max

Comment

Working...
                    X