Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Before the EFI goes into the river

Greetings
    I had a problem with my car '87 crown, a year or so ago ended up with some help from this site being my PIP sensor, replaced my dizzy have not had any problems untill now.
    My problem is the car will cut out very momentary like a split second, it does not spit sputter or anything it's like you turn the key off loss of power.
    Everything has been replaced recently, fuel filter,coil,fuel pump,tune up,TPS and IAC are fairly new.
    I ran KOEO and KOER tests and came back with 31,44,and 94, I have removed the smog pump and plugged the air tubes some time ago, this problem has only happened in the last few weeks(this is how the car was when I bought it and got worse from momentary power loss to minutes then hours of no starting)
    I am hoping it is not the PIP again as the dizzy is only about a year old and I did not get 14 back in the codes.
    Although I know you all may have no clue either so I wil be searching the site, but if you want to post any links on carb conversion go for it I am not afraid of the work or carbs biggest concern is how to make the AOD work with a carb?
    this is my DD so heeelpppp meeee.

Unless you take it to a shop with velour floors and an open bar in the waiting room, it will be far cheaper to fix your issue than swap the entire fuel and induction system.

When does it cut out? Up hills? under load? at idle? when warmed up?

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
    160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
    waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

sounds like the tfi module. But also could be fuel filter/pump, ignition switch....Carb ain't gonna be fun for a DD. You should learn about the EFI and how to troubleshoot it. If you can't do that, a carb swap is only gonna make you want to scrap the car.
      Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

It cuts out under load sometimes once, sometimes a few in a row, I do not think it cuts at Idle, it burbles a little I guess, I do not notice it at idle as much as I can feel it cut out when my foot is on the pedal.

Comment

Originally posted by mrltd View Post
          sounds like the tfi module. But also could be fuel filter/pump, ignition switch....Carb ain't gonna be fun for a DD. You should learn about the EFI and how to troubleshoot it. If you can't do that, a carb swap is only gonna make you want to scrap the car.
          Well yes except TFI is new along with dizzy, and fuel pump is new, I will try a filter its been on there a year.
          I don't know about carb being bad I just had a 78 two barrel 302 LTD that ran nice.

Comment

Is there a way to run this year AOD with a carb? or is a c-4 the answer?

Comment

Yeah, but did you build it? Tune it? It's not THAT easy. There are a lot of mods that have to be done for the carb swap. Fuel system, ignition, the trans.... Yeah, you can eventually dial a carb and dizzy in, but it's a trial and error thing, and quite time consuming. And if you have to worry about emissions, lol...

Doesn't mean it's not bad though. If they neglected to put the thermal paste on it, or it's a junk TFI it'd go bad quick. When it dies, you have to get that troubleshooting done, check for spark, check the fuel pressure, run the codes...

Of course there is, tons of people have done it..
              Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

I guess for now Ill drive it and see if it gets worse like before, its mighty cold here right now, I will keep trouble shooting it of course I am not against EFI I have learned alot about it and but sometimes I miss the simplicity of carbed vehicles.

Comment

TFI module is new from where? If it was used, it could be bad again. If it was new from Autozone, it's probably junk already. I've got a carb and I'm swapping back to EFI starting tomorrow. I may even tear into the harness tonight. Once tuned, my carb is suprisingly friendly. . . for a carb. It's still got quirks, among them vapor locking. The car is useless in the summer. I will miss its growl though.
                  1992 CVLX. 5.0 HO/GT40P/T5/3.73/trak-lok with bolt ons. 02 front CVPI setup, rear HPP setup, CVPI shocks around, F250 radiator, e-fans, and the power of 3G. 15.92@89mph, 2.4 60', 4700' elevation (5500' DA) with 3.08 open rear and the old oil chugging 289. RIP.

Comment

Have you replaced the ignition switch? They come apart and do what you're describing. They also can make the car catch on fire, which is not really fun.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

new dizzy dont mean the parts on it will last. when the TFI and PIP craped out on my bros towncar, i put a whole new dizzy in. turned out to make the car run worse. was a bad dizzy out the box. best thing to do with a new dizzy, remove the TFI, put the thermal goop on the back, then install. and X2 on the ignition switch. the 89 mark VII did this before. turned out the switch its self was comming apart.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                      1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                      1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                      2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                      2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Working...
                      X