Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wondering about injectors?

Hi,

i am the proud owner of an 86 grand marquis! the car was given to me recently and it needs new injectors. does anyone know where i can get a set that are oem or ones that flow just a bit higher than oem for a decent price? also whats the lb per hour rate for oem, i found injectors on summitracing but i don't know the lb per hour. one more question how hard is it to replace the injectors? i plan on doing the job myself, i have pretty decent mechanical skills but i never worked on a ford before, anything i should look out for?

thanks in advance!

edit: forgot to mention its the 5.0 efi version, no carb on this car

Nick

The stockers are 14lb. It's an easy job. Just have to remove the upper intake manifold. If you are planning a high out put swap/conversion you could get 19lb injectors. (19 is stock for a mustang)
    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

thanks for the reply, does anything have to be done to the ecu to adjust for the higher flow rates? i found a set of 19lb injectors for 209.88 from summit, is that a good price?

Nick

Comment

Not too bad. About average. I'm not too sure how well the ECU will be able to trim the 19's though. Might end up running really rich.

Comment

does this matter?

Determining the right amount of injector fuel flow is only part of the injection selection process. You also have to match the injector's operating parameters to your Electronic Control Unit. Operating parameters include both the injector driver style (peak-hold or saturated-circuit) and the resistance required to pulse the injector. Failure to properly match the injectors to the ECU can result in slower delivery rate, overheating of the injector or fuel injector driver, and even engine damage! When installing performance fuel injectors with larger flow rates, it may be necessary to recalibrate the mass airflow sensor and/or reprogram the vehicle's ECU.

Comment

If they work for a mustang, the will work on a vic/marq. I don't remebeer offhand the specs for the impedance or the peak hold or not...

Comment

ok 259.95 for stock 14lb replacement. i don't have the cash at the moment to upgrade anything else so i'm guessing my best bet is to go for stock injectors. down the road i'll be doing some bolt on upgrades such as intake, trickflow or bbk manifold to srtart. next after the injectors is a dual exhaust kit to get better breathing! then since the 19lb's arent that expensive i'll pick those up as well after i get some more cash flow!

Thanks for the reply's!

Nick

Comment

Alot of us here have our old 14's sitting around. I have a few sets. You could have them cleaned and checked for alot less than replacing them. I'd give mine away for shipping.

Comment

I'd not reccomend putting 19 lb injectors in a stock Vic. it will run all crappy and rich and use a lot of fuel. If you buy an adjustable fuel pressure regulator you can get away with it tho. Stick a post in the 'looking to buy' section. I'm sure someone has a set of 14 lb units laying around, or would be willing to pull a used set from the junkyard for a small fee. I'd offer up mine but I already gave them away.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I agree... ONLY upgrade the injectors if you going to convert to HO or inrease, improve the air flow of the motor.

btw.. you can have your stock injectors cleaned and flowmatched by these people;

I have had several sets of injectors done by them, very good work at a resonable price. Last set I had done came back with in 3% of each other, which is very good.
                    2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
                    89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
                    88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

Working...
                    X