Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

timing cover removal?

Hi!

I've been beating about the bush with my engine issue for a while now, avoiding real work
    Finally dropped the pan last night.
    I tightened the oil pump bolts up just for good measure, but I found where my oil pressure was going: two 1/2" steel plugs in the oil pan, and little question that they're the oil galley plugs.
    Yay! diagnosis made.
    And shit, more work... *sigh*

I've been there before, when I built this engine, but it's been like 3 months now and I had an instructor then to walk me through it. I want to do this with the engine still in the car; I don't have an engine hoist, and I don't have an engine stand, and I'd like to not have to buy those this month if possible.
    I've a couple questions

--do I need to pull the main pulley and the harmonic balancer, which means borrowing a pulley puller and driving 40 miles to borrow a friend's air compressor and impact gun... or is there enough space there that the timing cover can just pull forward and be rotated to the side without actually pulling it all the way off?

--were any plugs behind the camshaft timing gear? If so, then I'll need to remove the gear. I remember tapping the new timing gears on, what's the gentlest way to remove them? And, if there are plugs behind the timing gear, could the plugs have damaged the gear on the way out before dropping into the oil pan?

--anything else I'll need to know?

--finally, what I did was to tap them in with a small socket or punch until they bottomed out on the block. What else should I have done? Obviously didn't work
    I think I'll tap the holes, carefully flush any metal filings, and put in threaded plugs this time around! If there's a third plug (I recall that there was), then I'll probably remove and replace it, too.
    I'll test the oil pressure with a drill and extension before I put it all back together, 'cause it's still possible that the one under the intake has blown, too; but if it hasn't, I won't go through the couple-hour bother of R&Ring the lower intake also.

The timing cover isn't go far with the balancer there. You won't be able to pull it out far enough to spin it due to the dowel pins. Take the balancer off.

Comment

I thought the oil gallery plugs were threaded? Or did my machinist just modify them with a pipe tap for reliability?
      2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
        I thought the oil gallery plugs were threaded? Or did my machinist just modify them with a pipe tap for reliability?
        Generally they are not tapped , there are exceptions to everything though .
        sigpic

1988 Signature Series Town Car

Comment

Ah. to my machinist for eliminating the possibility of experiencing Bernini's problem.
          2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
            There are oil galley plugs that are threaded in the rear of the engine. 3 of them, around the camshaft.

Comment

If any of your plugs from the front of the engine are missing, you will have to pull your timing gear to get at them (after pulling your harmonic dampener and water pump/timing cover. You will also have to pull your distributor to get at the one up top in front behind where the distributor comes through your block (still behind the timing housing). Since you have been messing around with your motor for 2 months with no oil pressure, all of your bearings are likely in trouble.
              Any plugs in the rear of your engine can not physically make it to the pan so you do nto have to worry about them.

Comment

Also, in the rear, I know that's at the bellhousing and there's that little drip hole-- SO if oil were gushing out of the rear plugs (unlikely, as they're threaded), I'd see it dripping rapidly out the bottom of the car.

The problem lay in that I was NOT messing around with my motor for 2 months, or it would have been fixed 1.5 months ago Seriously, it's had 15 conservative minutes run time total-- here's hoping it's alright, and abundant engine lube has preserved it.

Sounds like I've a job ahead of me. Book value is 3.5 hours, but I know that's bullshit. It'll be 8-10 hours before I can drive away. I'll run the pump sooner than that though, to check the pressure.

Comment

The plugs should be pipe thread so just put some sealant on them and tighten them up. To get the timing gear off you should be able to pull back and forth by hand and pop it off...pull one side then the other. You'll need the balancer out of the way to clean up the gasket surfaces.

Comment

Working...
                  X