Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any body near Tyler, TX? Need head gasket help...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any body near Tyler, TX? Need head gasket help...

If anyone is near Tyler, I need a hand getting head gaskets put in an 88 GM. It's currently in my shop with the plugs out. Comression test was 150 psi on 1,2,3, and 5. about 95 on 4,6,8 and none on 7.
    The car belongs to my brother's mother in law and I kinda got conned into fixing it, but haven't worked on these before, and of course none of my local stores have a Chilton's or even a Haynes book, and autozone's online isnt' very descriptive......

closest is probably me... but I don't do engine internal... and I'm so beat right now from doing work on my own car that I'm useless.

Check out the box panther threads... especially the 5.0 stock threads... there might be something in there for ya.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

it's the exact same motor as a mustang or thunderbird, or even F150. All the torque specs and procedures are the same.
      Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

You're sure the problem is just a head gasket, right? Not valve or ring issues?
        2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Get the guy from Pass Time that looks like he's stoned all the time.
          sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Well, after it hanging out in my shop all summer, I finally got into the car. Appears it dropped a valve on the rearmost driver side (number 7?).
            After looking at costs, they decided to just find her another car. My brother asked me to find an outlet for this one, so if anyone is in the market for a project....
            I'm thinking about just parting it out and hauling what's left across the scales....
            Last edited by texdex; 11-12-2011, 05:42 PM.

Comment

Funny how no one likes fixing engines that are cheap and easy to fix ... or swap ....
              2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

because the labor involved for the owner of the car was more than the worth of the car. You can buy another panther for less than the cost of labor that will run for at least 50K without issue, if you shop around. That's why people don't like fixing them.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                X