Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TPS What does it do

What does the TPS do?
    Is there a difference between an HO TPS and a LOPO TPS?

Thank you,
    Mike
    90 Colony Park LS with GT 40 heads and intake. HO cam, 65 MM TB, 67 MM EGR spacer. Has a 75 MM Pro Flow mass air sensor. Borla XS mufflers. 3L55. Shift kit, 2000 stall Tq convertor...Bilstein shocks, front and rear sway bars.
    90 Colony Park LS 64,000 miles all original. 3L55 tow package....front and rear sway bars.
    91 Grand Marquis GS....HO motor..Bilstein shocks poly bushings and police swaybars. This one handles the best.
    70 Torino Squire with M code 351 Cleveland 3.00 has Magnaflow mufflers. Hidden headlights and power windows. All original

it works for two weeks and then gradually worsens until i replace it or junk the car

Comment

I was wondering if there was a difference between a LOPO and an HO TPS myself. I think the answer was "no."

It does its namesake: throttle position sensor.
      It's quite critical. The engine has just a few ways to adjust the air/fuel ratio. One is by knowing the geometry of the throttle plate, the ecu knows how much air might be coming in. It figures in air temperature (and thus density of oxygen), I want to say air speed, maybe just by mph or maybe by engine rpm, and vacuum from the MAP and deduces how much oxygen is making it into the engine. The ecu then calculates how long it should let the injectors pulse for a good air/fuel ratio, which also relies on the engine temperature, as of course a colder engine means poorer atomization. The O2 sensors read what came out, and it fine tunes the mix from that.
      Most of that you probably already knew.

But if it doesn't know how far open the throttle is cracked, the air/fuel mix can be thrown way off. It might still run, by relying on some of those other sensors and readings, namely the MAP and O2, to make up for the buggy TPS?
      I actually don't know what happens when it starts to go; mine works as far as I can tell.

To test it, you want it to read between .4 and .9V with the throttle shut, .9 is correct but .4 works, and I want to say around 4V WOT? Someone else should know here.
      You can adjust the setscrew on the throttle plate to push it to .9V closed throttle. If it's not reading correctly across the spectrum, and I've just admitted I don't know what correct is for WOT or the rest of the range, then replace I guess. I don't think it's repairable.

The other thing it does, which I only learned a couple weeks ago from others on this forum, is of course tell the ecu when the throttle is open at all. If the throttle is closed, then the IAC will be put into action to let some air past the throttle so the engine can idle correctly. If the TPS does not work, or is set wrong (reads >1V at closed throttle) such that it thinks the throttle is open when its not, the engine could stall at idle.
      The TPS setting also has an effect on idle rpm; when I adjusted mine correctly I got the idle rpms back to 700rpm where they should be.

Comment

no difference. same part.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
        X