injectors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

injectors

Most of the injectors I pulled out of my intake had the caps snap off, and I notice that only a few of the 19lb injectors I plan to install have caps on 'em.

I don't know anything about injector construction; what's the cap for?

Do I buy a set and replace them all before I install the new injectors?
    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

It does 2 things, it helps the spray pattern form for one, and it holds the O ring and that plastic spacer in place. I'd buy new ones were it me. They're pretty cheap. Its usually listed as an injector rebuild kit or something like that. basically its 2 O rings, the plastic washer, and the cap. Sometimes you'll find a better kit that includes the itty bitty screen in the back end of the injector that I have no idea how to remove.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Remove the screen by using a screwing a screw into it and yanking the screen out.
      Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

But it's *almost* as cheap just to get rebuilt injectors.
        The kits are $3/apiece and of course just cover the cap and o-rings.

Rebuilt injectors have ALSO been cleaned out and flow-matched, and they're maybe $10/apiece.

Comment

I made my own back flushing equipment.

Comment

I have seen a howto video on teh interwebz about rebuilding/cleaning injectors. It included removing that screen, sonic cleaning the injector (with a jewelry sonic cleaner). New pintle caps and o rings. The walkthrough was pretty simple enough. The time to clean each injector was over like 2 hours though. It also showed them flushing, and back flushing, with a straw carb cleaner, and a 9 volt battery to open the injector. It was actually on a link, that was on a page that was selling 'rebuild kits' The filter, pintle cap, o rings, etc.

Comment

Mr injector sells the rebuild kits cheeper than anywere else I know of.

Comment

Originally posted by BerniniCaCO3 View Post

Rebuilt injectors have ALSO been cleaned out and flow-matched, and they're maybe $10/apiece.

Where can you get rebuilds for 10$

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

Originally posted by mitymerc View Post
                  Where can you get rebuilds for 10$
                  +1 i want a set of rebuilt 24lbers
                  sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Originally posted by BerniniCaCO3 View Post

Show me a link. I haven't seen anything that cheap.

Comment

I always buy this kit when replacing injectors:

It's just a little bit more than just the o-rings would be anyways. I also let the injectors sit for a few days in pure injector cleaner, then blow them out both ways with compressed air while powering them up. Does it actually do anything? I'm not really sure but it can't hurt.
                      2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                      2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                      2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                      1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

What type of injector cleaner? The stuff that you get at the parts store? Or the stuff that you'd hook up to the fuel rail and run the car off of it.

Comment

Originally posted by pantera77 View Post
                          I always buy this kit when replacing injectors:

It's just a little bit more than just the o-rings would be anyways. I also let the injectors sit for a few days in pure injector cleaner, then blow them out both ways with compressed air while powering them up. Does it actually do anything? I'm not really sure but it can't hurt.
                          powering them up is probably more productive than letting them sit closed in a bucket of cleaner for days.
                          Give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will promptly forget that he once did not know, and proceed to call anyone who asks, a n00b and flame them on the boards for being stupid.

Comment

Working...
                          X