fuel line help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fuel line help

so today i was trying to change the fuel filter in my '88 grand marquis and broke the end off of the inlet hose. so i looked on rock auto and found this http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=489304 will this work?

2003 Mercury Grand Marquis LS
    Maruader rims and lights, Ebay LED tails, Mach 1 Chin spoiler, 20% tint front 5% tint rear, K&N cold air,

it should.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

How does that get spliced in? Can you still splice on some fuel line and clamp?

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

you cleanly remove the old rubber part that goes from the hard line/tank to the filter and replace it with that.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Does the new part simply clamp on to the existing line?

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

the new part splices on with 1/4:1/4 barbed connector. It should be included with the repair kit- ford is a common domestic, and most parts stores will stock these repair ends.

But forcing the hard line onto the barb is a BITCH. I don't know how I did it. I've been told that soaking in near-boiling water can help soften the hard nylon. Tried it, no help.
            Nothing but persistance and the careful and extreme application of force, to wriggle that line onto the barb without collapsing or kinking it or getting just stock only one barb down and not very secure.

If someone has advice, or knows of a miracle tool (even if it costs $40), I'm all ears.

But anyway-- yeah, that's a quick disconnect with a good foot+ of line on it, you trim the line to length, and put in a hard plastic coupler.

Comment

And you shouldn't need to order it. $10-$15 at your friendly local store. Just check that you have the right size.

The other thing that breaks are just the little tabs that hold in the filter. You can get new ones of those, too.

Comment

parts places usually just have generic sections of line ready to go with fittings and everything. they probably have 10 of exactly what you need. take the old one in, if possible. that's the easiest way to do things imo
                Last edited by 1990LTD; 04-09-2012, 11:24 PM.
                sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

thanks everyone for the replies, today i just went to the part store and got a length of rubber fuel line, clipped the remainder of the bendy part of the fuel line and put the new line over the end of the line and clapped it down

2003 Mercury Grand Marquis LS
                  Maruader rims and lights, Ebay LED tails, Mach 1 Chin spoiler, 20% tint front 5% tint rear, K&N cold air,

Comment

Working...
                  X