which window motor to buy????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

which window motor to buy????

Rock has reman Motor craft, Cardone & Dorman, does any have a preference? why?
    Cost is a factor....

Thanks

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

rebuild an original motor.......i have had no luck with any aftermarket motors or motorcraft, i think we can find a few minutes to show you how at scottfest, but like i said before no tearing cars completely apart!

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

I kept all my old non-functioning window motors.

Does somebody want to video that demo on how to rebuild our window motors, so I can have like 12 spares around?
      Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

cardone has been rebuilding stuff FOREVER......with mixed results...but as far as window motors go,i havent noticed any abnormally high warranty issues where i work on those....so price wise.....probably the best of all "evils".......do keep in mind that the "left" and "right" can be reversed on some models(at least thats what they say in the notes)

Comment

Originally posted by Lincolnmania View Post
          rebuild an original motor.......i have had no luck with any aftermarket motors or motorcraft, i think we can find a few minutes to show you how at scottfest, but like i said before no tearing cars completely apart!
          I think I pitched all my old ones.
          I tool one apart & cleaned the commutator & iirc reversed the brushes, but it didn't last long after that....

Where do you get new brushes?

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

Originally posted by mitymerc View Post
            I think I pitched all my old ones.
            I tool one apart & cleaned the commutator & iirc reversed the brushes, but it didn't last long after that....

Where do you get new brushes?
            ....how many do you need?.....i know someone that may have a few non working ones,ill ask tommorrow ,if he has any i can bring them to SF ...ill update when i know for sure(im going to his place tommorrow morning to get the coupe ready for the trip)

Comment

Originally posted by t65neon5 View Post
              ....how many do you need?.....i know someone that may have a few non working ones,ill ask tommorrow ,if he has any i can bring them to SF ...ill update when i know for sure(im going to his place tommorrow morning to get the coupe ready for the trip)
              I have been dealing with non opening windows through the last 2 winters, it's been that long since I looked into this....

I know the 2 rears need bushings.

I don't remember if the front pass is just the switch or if the motor is toast.

The drivers front gets power to the connector, it is disconnected (& the door panel has been off for over 2 years), IIRC I had done the bushings & a short time later it just stopped entirely....

So, if I need any, it might be the fronts. What do you think he might want for them?

The tailgate motor has been dead for even longer, but it is not a priority right now.....

Comment

This is weird....
                I went to my local junkyard (read basement) & found 2 motors in the bin of parts stripped from the '89 CVCS.

One translates to 89-91 CV/GMdon't know if f or r, l or r...
                The other is for a 65 to 69 Mustang/Cougar...

The strange thing is they were in a bin of stuff stripped from an '89, I've never had a vintage Mustang or Cougar.

Comment

I have been dealing with non opening windows through the last 2 winters, it's been that long since I looked into this....

I know the 2 rears need bushings.

I don't remember if the front pass is just the switch or if the motor is toast.

The drivers front gets power to the connector, it is disconnected (& the door panel has been off for over 2 years), IIRC I had done the bushings & a short time later it just stopped entirely....

So, if I need any, it might be the fronts. What do you think he might want for them?

The tailgate motor has been dead for even longer, but it is not a priority right now.....
                  ......sorry mang...big time bummer here...he has one...but its for a mustang,so it wont work.......i just remember seeing them on the shelf at his shop,but he only has the one left...(he is like me,if it works he saves it for future use or trading meat.....lol)

Comment

I purchased a brand new set a few years back from a mustang site. Forgot which one but they were brand new. Click my sig pic and look for the details.
                    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by t65neon5 View Post
                      ...but its for a mustang,so it wont work
                      I believe the 'Stang uses the same one...
                      I have 2 complete, rust free, all electric Mustang doors, but I'm not going to cut them up....

Comment

Thanks Mang, Should I pick up any bushings or anything?

Comment

I believe the 'Stang uses the same one...
                          I have 2 complete, rust free, all electric Mustang doors, but I'm not going to cut them up....
                          ....nope ,i checked at work on my way home,they are real close,but just a lil different where the gear is(id imagine you could make em work,but maybe you would have modify the inside of the door to use them I.E.,drill new mounting points,possibly shim)it may just bolt in,but they sure look kinda different at the gear,and have different part #s and cases
                          Last edited by Guest; 08-04-2012, 11:20 PM.

Comment

they changed the motor design in 90 or 91......the later model motors are a sealed unit
                            the older motors the gear housing dates to the mid 60's and the motors early 70's
                            sure bring some motors we can see if we can bring em back to life, bring bushings or if you dont have little kids 1/4" nuts

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                            2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                            1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                            1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                            2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                            1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

they changed the motor design in 90 or 91......the later model motors are a sealed unit
                              the older motors the gear housing dates to the mid 60's and the motors early 70's
                              sure bring some motors we can see if we can bring em back to life, bring bushings or if you dont have little kids 1/4" nuts
                              well...that explains that....his mustang is a 91.......

Comment

Working...
                              X