Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Timing Set

Vehicle: 1982 Ford LTD-S with 351W.

So this is long over due but I plan on replacing my timing set and related parts. I have a couple questions. There are several different double roller timing chains recommended for my vehicle on rock auto. Will this one work? CLOYES Part # 73043.

And I hear it's recommended to replace the harmonic balancer as well, I know there are different ones, how's this one look? ATP Part # 102030, it's ATP or dorman...i figured Id be better with ATP...

I also am ordering a fel-pro gasket set which includes the crank seal, and a HD gates water pump, motorcraft thermostat and gasket and radiator cap. Anything I'm missing here? Other brands or recommendations?

Thanks guys!
    -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

bump..
    -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

Comment

The Cloyes should be fine. I think thats whats on my car. If not, its something damn similar made by them. After it fell off (use loctite on the cam bolt, trust me on this) I thought I ought to replace it. The one from the parts store was a single row, and Scott had a brand new 0 mile Explorer single row on hand. The Cloyes with 30k on it was tighter than either of the 0 mile single rows, so it went back on.

Just make sure that ATP part is a 28 ounce imbalance. 302's after 82 used a 50, and while the balancers will physically interchange, it'll shake like an out of balance washing machine if you put the wrong one on there.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Change the hoses and coolant at the same time. And the belts, if needed.

You're also going to need to change the oil; you can't want coolant in the oil.

I know these are little things, and you probably already planned on them, but it doesn't hurt to put it out there.

Also, paint the water pump.
        **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
        **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
        **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
        **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Loctite and 28oz imbalance, got it. The hoses, coolant and belts were all very recently changed, but good points. And yes definitely planning on painting the pump! The last one I did flash rusted almost over night and looks terrible!

Is RTV sealant needed anywhere? Or should I use the gaskets only? If the oil pan gasket falls apart I assume I should use RTV on the pan?
          -Phil

sigpic

Comment

use rtv on both sides of the timing cover gasket, both sides of the water pump gasket, and remove the water pump plate, get a new gasket for that and rtv both sides of that.
            on the timing cover to oil pan area, use the half moon rubber gasket on the cover bottom, rtv the corners, and do not use the cork corner pieces, just glob up the pan corners up good with rtv, the bigger the blob the better the job!

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
            2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
            1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
            1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
            2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
            1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Perfect, thanks Scottmang!!
              -Phil

sigpic

Comment

put a small daub of rtv in the key slot on the balancer too, otherwise oil will wick out around it and you'll get a fine spray of oil around the crank pulley.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Thank you all for the tips and hints! I found that my original timing chain is a double roller, had plenty of slack on it. Almost all together now, just have to put the accessories on, put coolant and oil in and start her up! I'll post some pictures in the readers ride section later
                  -Phil

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X