Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Surging idle briefly

Guess it's my turn to go through it.
    At first I was very concerned about this issue but after searching this forum about it and reading everything I could about this problem,wealth of info I might add too.Not anymore hehhee.
    In my case when my 88 it up to temp. ( after 20 minutes) it will reduce in idle speed very slightly then go back to normal.
    I had to replace the alternator because I was not getting 14 V.
    Replaced the plugs with OEM units, fuel filter. And that's all I've done since owning my baby ( 1990).
    Bought one of the ford code readers recently,still waiting tho international shipping grrr.

"Temperature related surging" mine never does it when it's cold. Thinking temp. related sensor guys??

I should have also mentioned that I have an 1991 GM as a parts car, not running tho because the block got cracked.
    Bet the engine parts are interchangeable with my 88.

Comment

Could be the coolant temperature or air temperature sensor. Or it may be a vacuum leak. These get funny with leaks.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

could also be a vac line somewhere,but id replace the temp sending units to be safe
        89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

Another thing that can cause surging is a dirty butterfly in the throttle body... Mine was doing that... and my mechanic told me to spray some cleaner in the opening (fuel injector / carb cleaner) and then wipe it out with a rag. Have someone sit in the car and push the gas peddle down to open the butterfly up... (WITHOUT it running!) then spray it down, and wipe it out. It may not even look dirty. Be sure and get both sides of the blade. It took care of the problem...

Agent Caitlin Todd… You know Tony, Statistics show that married men live longer…
          Agent Tony DiNozzo… It only seems longer….

http://www.tomspolicecars.com/

Comment

trwp72 what year is your vehicle?

Comment

Agent Caitlin Todd… You know Tony, Statistics show that married men live longer…
              Agent Tony DiNozzo… It only seems longer….

http://www.tomspolicecars.com/

Comment

The rad cooling fan clutch, checked mine today,turned off engine watched it spin alot till coming to a dead stop, car was up to temp.
                To replace that, do you have to remove the rad? I have spare 1991 parts car.

Admin can I post further questions on this thread about my car or do I have to make new threads??

Comment

nah, just the shroud. take the 2 bolts off the top of the rad that hold the shroud to it, then you'll need to remove the 4 bolts that hold the fan to the pulley. Then just lift both the fan and the shroud out.

getting at the bolts on the fan is the hardest part. Leave the belt on to make things easier.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by ka7jjg43 View Post
                    In my case when my 88 it up to temp. ( after 20 minutes) it will reduce in idle speed very slightly then go back to normal.
                    In my case, it was the Mass Air Flow Sensor. I sprayed it with some carb/fuel injection cleaner, and the surging disappeared.

Comment

You removed the sensor RobertB ? than cleaned the unit.

Comment

Ok yall finally got my innova 3145 ford code reader today,conducted the key on engine off test and this is what i got:
                        34 O
                        10 read my manual about this
                        34 C
                        I do have and newer EGR valve handy on my 1991 parts car that was replaced in 2006,think i should use it??
                        Last edited by ka7jjg43; 03-14-2013, 12:03 PM.

Comment

i have a speed density car and mine randomly surges since i've owned it. before/after the ho conversion and after replacing just about everything i can think of.

i gave up and learned to live with it since i normally dont let it idle for any length of time.
                          Give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will promptly forget that he once did not know, and proceed to call anyone who asks, a n00b and flame them on the boards for being stupid.

Comment

typically if I let mine idle after startup until it settles down (10-15 seconds)... it doesn't do that much at all. If I crank the key and go almost instantly... it does it quite badly at low speeds.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
                            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
                            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Hey guys, im experiencing something similar to this....
                              On start up, it idles real high, then after it warms up it dies down, but you can still hear it pretty loud.
                              Since then I replaced the tps, cleaned out the egr, and now replced the iac and*just now as i was driving home, at a complete stop, the car jumped forward and da idle skyrocketed. I had to pull over and turn da car off as it was reving up really bad. Bad iac possibly? I thought maybe the throttle got stuck open but i took off da air cleaner and everything looks normal inside the throttle body.....thoughts?

Comment

Working...
                              X