WTF is this? Some kinda hose?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WTF is this? Some kinda hose?

Hey there! It's that ignorant son of a bitch buffalo rider! I'll cut right to the chase here... What's this?

Click image for larger version

Name:	whatsthis.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	1300496
    the bottom middle left
    Click image for larger version

Name:	whatsthis2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	1300497
    a closer look

Don't know what the fuck this is but the hoses attached to it are fucked and I'd like to replace them.
    It's not high up on my list of shit to do so I haven't really been stressing about it, but if someone could just tell my ignorant ass what the hell this is then I would know what to read up on and what hoses to buy for replacement. Ac or something? I dunno.

THANKS!

Hi Buffalo Rider

Looks like an air divertor valve for the thermactor system which is a pretty useless emissions only system that you can do away with and suffer no ill effects on the running of the engine, allthough the PCM will store a couple fault codes

Regards

Dereck
    President and founder of The Turbine Wheel Appreciation Society and Little Debbie Cake Connoissuer

Also "The Pondside Pain In Your Posterior"

Comment

OOOOOOHHHH, I see. I'll have to look into this. At least now I know that it DOES belong near the bottom of my list of things to do.

Thank you kindly Dereck!

Comment

Yep, it's for controlling air from the smog pump to the exhaust. It's pretty much required to pass emissions (reasonably stringent visual or any tailpipe), but not something you have to worry about making the car run rough or lose economy or what have you if it malfunctions.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
        160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
        waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

my 88 passed the sniffer two years in a row, here in Texas, without the smog pump at all. All it does is help heat up the cats faster and assist with vacuum going uphill so the AC/Cruise won't cut out due to low vacuum (or so I've been told on the vacuum part).

Now it's old enough to be safety only though, so I can contemplate a motor swap, no questions asked.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I removed the air pump and all the crap that comes with it years ago, long before my engine swap. And I've never had a problem with the local smog test. The hardest thing was finding the proper/shorter belt that fit.

Comment

You only need the belt if your A/C works.
              89 CV LX 225/60 x 16 tires, CC819 rear springs, Front & rear sway bar, trans & PS cooler from 90 cop car. KYB shocks, F-150 on rear. Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe. Dark brown door panels, carpet, steering wheel, trim parts from a 87 Mer GM. Power front buckets from 96 Jeep Cherokee. LED'S front & rear. 3G Alt from a 97 Taurus wagon 3.0. Electric fan. Rear axle from a 97 PI 3.27 with disk brakes. Headlight relays.

Comment

I dont remember removing the air pump and related parts causing any code to be stored.
                Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

it stores codes, but doesn't light the MIL/CEL so it's no biggy.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                  X