Frig

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frig

Well, last Friday I took the car to a mechanic apprentice offering $40 an hour to do stuff.

I had him replace the water pump and radiator.

During his efforts to remove the water pump bolt studs, he broke one. Well, he broke two. He replaced one and left the other to me to find to the bolt and he'd put it in at a later time.

Only now he's not answering the phone when I call to arrange for him to complete the work.

I have a water pump that is being held on by 8 bolts instead of 9 (torqued to 13.5 foot pounds each); will this hold?

Also, how hard is it to replace the studs?

This is my 1986 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, with the 351W under the hood.

I think I done made an error here.

if you have access to a torque wrench, just put it in yourself. If it's one of the bolts that a bracket mounts to, then you'll have to remove the nuts holding the bracket on to get it out of the way to get the new stud in. if it's just one of the bare bolts, access is snug, but available without removing anything to get the bolt in. I'd be able to do the free access one in about 10 minutes... about 30 with removing a bracket. without the bolt, it WILL eventually leak. The question is when. If all else fails, get your regular mechanic to put the bolt in. Shouldn't charge you much for that if at all (depending on mood and general disposition).

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

The large bolts are noted for rusting into the engine block it is best to take it to a matchine shop to extract the remains. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
      X