engine will crank but not start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

engine will crank but not start

I have fuel pressure and spark but the car will not start. Looking for some new ideas on what to do?

What year, model and size of motor ? Does your car have a long grey plastic part under/side of the distributor ? Need more info.

Comment

Does it sound like its spinning really easily, or does it sound normal? If its spinning really easy, and it happens to be an 85 or older, theres a fair chance the timing chain jumped.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

goin out on a limb but is there a engine killswitch on the engine? when i 1st got my marquis i saw this strange keyhole under my dash and decided to press it. turned out to be a chapman hoodlock and engine killswitch the car would crank electrical was fine this happend after a successful ride to work and home ended up unbolting it and cutting the wires the hood lock was broken on it so i could not find anything wrong with it

Comment

It is a 1989 Grand Marquis, 5.0, and it does have the long gray plug on the distributor. The car turns over normal. And I will look for killswitch

Comment

Kill switch is the inertia switch in the trunk, left side. Press the button down on top if it's popped up. If that's not it, then you're left checking the "long grey plug" ignition module, check for spark at all plugs, verify that the fuel pressure is actually there and not just residual as seen by pressing the schrader valve and watching gas spray out of it. It needs to be about 34 PSI (ball park) or so.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

There are steps to diagnosing a crank but no start condition. Could be ignition switch, eec relay, and/or a host of other electronics. Join sbftech.com for a great site. Research it online.
              87' Lincoln Town Car Stars + Stripes. Explorer GT40P, Anderson B31 Cam, Shorty Headers, FRPP 1.6 Rockers, A9L, Sn95 T5 Trans, 3:55 Limited Slip, GNX Rear Springs, LSC Turbines, 1.5 wheelspacers, Full Custom Dual 2.5/Flowmasters, 00 P71 Airtube, 19lb calibrated Maf, Summit Alum Radiator, King Cobra Clutch, Short throw Shfter, Energy Susp Trans Mount,
              Mods to come: Big Brake/Poly Front Swap, PI Front Swaybar, Addco 650 Rear Swaybar, Boxed Upper Rear Control Arms, 351/Alum Heads, FRPP Valve Covers,

Comment

Do you hear the fuel pump priming when you turn the key forward? Okay, it shouldn't be the issue. I've had an eec relay stop the car from running. I believe it stopped the fuel pump relay from priming the pump.
                87' Lincoln Town Car Stars + Stripes. Explorer GT40P, Anderson B31 Cam, Shorty Headers, FRPP 1.6 Rockers, A9L, Sn95 T5 Trans, 3:55 Limited Slip, GNX Rear Springs, LSC Turbines, 1.5 wheelspacers, Full Custom Dual 2.5/Flowmasters, 00 P71 Airtube, 19lb calibrated Maf, Summit Alum Radiator, King Cobra Clutch, Short throw Shfter, Energy Susp Trans Mount,
                Mods to come: Big Brake/Poly Front Swap, PI Front Swaybar, Addco 650 Rear Swaybar, Boxed Upper Rear Control Arms, 351/Alum Heads, FRPP Valve Covers,

Comment

Working...
                X