Fuel tank filler neck gasket?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel tank filler neck gasket?

Ok, dropped the tank on my 84 wagon tonight to replace the filler neck grommet(gasket?) where the filler pipe goes into the tank. Well, the only problem is the dorman part that everyone carries is WAY too small for the pipe to slide into. It's Dorman part number 577502.

I think I have a leak (or at least vapors) from this seal and I want to replace it. Anyone run into this problem before? Solutions for replacing the filler neck gasket?

Thanks!
    1984 Mercury Colony Park Wagon - gone to the darkside. 5.3 LS Turbo Swap with 4L80E. 6.62@106 in the 1/8 mile (low 10's in the 1/4), full weight, AC, no compromises! Rocky Mountain Race Week 2020 and Race Week 2.0 2020

also - where do you buy the tank vent for the evap system? The white one on the top of the tank and sends vapors to the charcoal canister? Can't find that either....thanks!!
    1984 Mercury Colony Park Wagon - gone to the darkside. 5.3 LS Turbo Swap with 4L80E. 6.62@106 in the 1/8 mile (low 10's in the 1/4), full weight, AC, no compromises! Rocky Mountain Race Week 2020 and Race Week 2.0 2020

Comment

What is the Ford Engineering Part number on the neck seal that you have? You should be able to find it on the outside flat side of the seal. I have used the Dorman part you reference for all my P72 needs and it does require a bit of lube to get the neck to go through it. See my thread in the "boxes" part of the forum. I also found neck grommets/seals for the sedans at Parkway Ford in Winston Salem NC. I paid 11+ tax for them this week. I have not tried to locate a tank vent. I use www.greensalescompany.com for obsolete Ford parts.

Comment

Oh, and measure your filler neck. All my P72s and most the other folks have encountered a 2.25" diameter filler neck on the "boxes". The filler neck seal is a very tight fit (obviously to keep fuel from leaking out of the tank).

Comment

latemodelrestoration.com

1979-99 FORD MUSTANG FUEL TANK VAPOR VALVE
          EVERYDAY LOW PRICE: $49.99
          In Stock! Shipping Info
          Qty: ADD TO CART ADD TO WISHLIST
          Brand
          Ford
          Part Number
          # LRS-9593A
          WRITE A PRODUCT REVIEW

BENEFITS & FEATURES

Release Pressure From Inside Fuel Tank From Fuel Vapors Plastic Housing Ford OEM Part Fits 1979-99 Mustang
          IN THE BOX

(1) Fuel Tank Vapor Valve

Comment

the thin portion will spread out easily with a little petrolium jelly. As long as the THICK portion is no more than a quarter inch smaller than the pipe, it should fit. If you can slot it in the tank, the pipe should slide in with a little lube. (dang that sounds nasty)

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Thanks guys! my filler neck gasket is a 9072-AA...very different from the Dorman and it was in great shape so I'm just putting it back in. Also - vent is also in great shape, just had a pinched line blocking the vent to the canister...fixed!

Also - I was an idiot and broke the 5/16" plastic return line at near the tank...I of course cant finde these anywhere...tried to make one from the dorman line repair kit and failed miserably...kinks all over the place. Other than the J yard and hope to get lucky...does anyone have one of these or know where to get them??

Thanks...the wagon is blocking my daily driver in the garage! sucks

Comment

5/16 bulk fuel hose would probably work fine as well.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                  5/16 bulk fuel hose would probably work fine as well.
                  It sure does. I had to use fuel hose when I broke mine replacing the tank.

'93 T-bird
                  '03 Silverado ECSB

Missed:
                  '88 Mark VII
                  '86 CV

Comment

Glad you got it going! The factory seals are a bit different from the Dorman units but I have used the Dorman units successfully. The Ford part number also has a four digit alpha/numeric in front of the 9072-AA. Mine has an E3AC-9072-AA engineering number on them, but the "service part or ordering number" is E1AZ-9072-B and it comes in a package of two. When you work on a 20+ year old car, something is bound to be stiff or stubborn! Ford part numbers would make a preacher cuss.

Comment

I did get the fuel injection hose as was suggested above...I couldn't get 5/16 hose to fit over the barbs so I used 3/8 which was nice and snug. only issue is the 3/8 fuel injection hose clamps just barely get tight enough...if I love the line by hand with the car running it will leak a bit of fuel...not cool.

I wanted to ask if it might be ok to use a regular hose clamp as a secondary clamp on the hose? or if anyone has a used 5/16 return line for a box wagon they would sell to me

Comment

regular hose clamp INSTEAD of those other clamps

Comment

Working...
                        X