Water pumps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Water pumps

Have any of you had a recurring problem with aftermarket water pumps on a 302? I have replaced mine twice in the last two years & the new one is squealing & leaking out of the shaft... WTH . BTW it was just replaced in June of this year.
    91 w/ 5.0 with eibach springs for a SS Impala ,hd police shocks on front w/big brake uprade,rear shocks for F-150 HD. Dual s w/ glass packs, 15X8 A/R Wheels 5% Tint on rear.http://www.supermotors.org/vehicles/...l.php?id=11699sigpic

Yes, many have had this problem. Buy the good HD cast iron one next time.
    2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
    2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
    2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
    1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

I bought a Heavy duty GMB water pump from Advanced Autoparts. It was made in Japan and the quality was decent. I know that there are failures with chineese mild steel impellers or poorly zinc coated ones.

Try and find one with a stainless impeller, or a cast iron one.

Make sure you drain and fill the system a couple times to remove any corrosion as best you can.
      1989 Ford Mustang LX...............................1989 Crown Victoria Country Squire LX..

Comment

Yes! I bought a reman Ford unit last time. Six years later it's still pumping and not leaking.

Comment

I read some where on here the top stud bolts on the HD are longer; if so do they normally come with the pump or do you have to buy them separately??
          91 w/ 5.0 with eibach springs for a SS Impala ,hd police shocks on front w/big brake uprade,rear shocks for F-150 HD. Dual s w/ glass packs, 15X8 A/R Wheels 5% Tint on rear.http://www.supermotors.org/vehicles/...l.php?id=11699sigpic

Comment

separately.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I used to replace the HD pumps at 1 year / 10k mile intervals because they failed. Most lost shaft seals and wiped out the bearings, one lost the gasket at the backing plate and overheated the motor. Finally chased it to a combination of shitty pumps and a missing bushing for the clutch fan to center the fan properly on the WP hub. The fan was off balance and beating the shit out of the bearings. Since replacing it with a new pump and getting a bushing its lasted 4 years or so. Might still only be 10k miles though, I don't go anywhere these days.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
              X