AOD question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AOD question

Hey guys. I just aquired a 92 AOD out of a mustang, to install in my 89 GM. I haven't heard otherwise, but are there any differences I should know about? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
    Mike

Exterior wise the tailshaft housing is the only possible difference. Other than that the governor is higher that the GMs. No other difference.

Comment

Should work fine. Like Blaze said, it has a higher RPM governer so WOT shifts will be higher. This might cause problems on a tired motor that can't wind out far enough to make it shift properly. New governer and gasket will run you about $25 if its a problem. If youi don't run it balls to the wall all the time it should be just fine.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

The only issue will be the governor. Put a lopo one in there..
        Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Transmissions are the same demensionaly

and as others have pointed out, the shift speed will be higher (4800-4900 vs stock 4200).

you will have to swap the shifter shaft in the side of the transmission, since the Mustang uses a floor shifter, the linkage is different.
          good time to put a shift kit in, since you have to pull the trans pan and valve body to change the shaft.
          2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
          89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
          88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

Or good time to be badass and put the 'Stang shifter there and ditch the stock steering column one

Comment

Originally posted by 88grandmarq
              , since the Mustang uses a floor shifter, the linkage is different.
              good time to put a shift kit in, since you have to pull the trans pan and valve body to change the shaft.
              You have to pull the pan, but not the valve body. You only have to unbolt the detent spring assy. You also have to pull the retaining pin from the case and remove the nut from the shaft. It is a piece of cake.

Don't sweat the governor. At partial throttle, you will probably like the shift points.

Comment

I forgot about that...yeah you will have to change the shift linkage lever on the tranny. Like Mercracer said though, it's not hard at all. I had to do it on the tranny that is still purchased a few months ago, it was less than a 5 minute job.

Comment

O.K., shift point, not an issue. I like it that way. Shift linkage, again, not an issue. Floor shifter????? Only if I'm installing a stick shift!! I was told by the tranny shop that does our work, that the 'stang tranny also has extra clutch packs for third gear. That should help it last longer. As for the engine, my car just turned 120,000 original miles, and is strong as hell. It doesn't even have the usual 5 liter knock. Thanks all for your immediate responses.
                  Mike :banana:

Comment

Working...
                  X