Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Occasional blinking of the "Check Oil" light.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Occasional blinking of the "Check Oil" light.

I've done as it says and the oil's as full as it's been since the tune-up last year. Nothing seems to be wrong but the occasional blinking is distracting at night.

I'm stumped. Oil pump, maybe? That's probably the only auxiliary part I've yet to have a problem with.
    89 Grand Marquis GS.

Putting it here because I keep forgetting to mention it. It's not very exciting at the moment.

Year, colour of oil light. If it's the red oil light of death, yes the oil pump is going, BUT DO NOT DESPAIR. If you switch to a thicker oil it'll soldier on for years or decades even. You can dump a can of Engine Honey in to thicken up the oil you have, or just change the oil and fill it with 20w-50 racing oil. If you bring the idle up by goosing the gas with other foot on the brake and it puts the light out. Usually the light flickers when stopped at a red light with car in gear. If it comes on solid very long, you're screwed it WILL SEIZE.

You're in luck though, these Ford motors need oil flow, not oil pressure, so as long as you have that 20w-50 racing oil in it and topped off, it will last.

Another thing you can do is check the dipstick markings. Change oil, fill all but 1qt, check oil, see/mark if different from LOW. Put last qt in, check, mark if different from F on dipstick.

Sent from my XT557 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by sxcpotatoes; 07-17-2014, 10:21 AM.
    Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

it may also just be low idle. the IAC and throttle body may just need a good cleaning.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Also thicker oil can speed engine wear so there really is not a great solution if the pressure is low except...
        HO.

I had bad bearings in mine for years before the tranny went and I replaced the engine and tranny in one shot.
        03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
        02 SL500 Silver Arrow
        08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
        12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
          it may also just be low idle. the IAC and throttle body may just need a good cleaning.
          I'd check those two out before I went to thicker oil!

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

The oil pumps almost never go bad. When these lose oil pressure, the bearings are worn out. You can confirm with a real oil pressure gauge if you'd like. No real fix for it other than a crank kit or a better stereo. Fords don't need oil pressure, they need oil flow. As long as it doesn't hammer while driving, pay it no mind. When you're to the point that the red oil pressure light is on constantly while driving at highway speed, its pretty well toast though.

If its the amber "check oil" light, it may be the wire down to the sensor is chafing on the motor mount. Its on the side of the oil pan. Follow the wire up to the harness and just make sure it isn't damaged. Sometimes it comes out of the little clip and rubs on things, causing shorts. The light comes on when the float switches to ground, so any short in the wire can make the light pop on and off.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yeah, it's yellow. Year is 89.

Eesh. My eyes are kinda glazing over at all this information...
              89 Grand Marquis GS.

Putting it here because I keep forgetting to mention it. It's not very exciting at the moment.

Comment

the yellow light is just low oil, could be a wire/funky sender or something then.
                Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

Ford offers a good oil pump but the screen to filter out large contaminants has a very small opening. About 5/8" at its largest point. Looks like a half moon. This opening can be enlarged. Also, the factory Ford gaskets where cork. Bits can break off and get stuck in the trap which its designed to do,however, low oil pressure is a result when your idle is low. Like gadget73 said, oil pump almost never go bad.

Comment

I'll have to get it checked out, then. It does sputter occasionally going into low idle.
                    89 Grand Marquis GS.

Comment

Working...
                    X