Coolers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coolers?

So, with the towing package my car has coolers in front of the radiator. As far as I can see, they are for power steering and transmission.
    I hadn't really paid much attention to them until today when I was test fitting some stuff, are they supposed to get hot or warm during normal driving?
    I went into the engine bay a few minutes after parking and the radiator was nice and warm but the trans cooler and PS cooler were not.
    If I'm wrong as to what they are, let me know.
    The PS cooler is a loop of tubing on the drivers side and the trans cooler is a very small radiator on the drivers side of the radiator support.
    1989 Country Squire - Twilight Blue, 347 stroker

2005 Crown Victoria Sport - Black - Stainless Works full exhaust with Borla Pro XS mufflers, BBK 75mm TB, Accufab plenum, CVPI airbox, Heinous control arms, etc...

They really don't get that hot unless your doing something strenuous, drag racing, towing, auto crossing...
    2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
    2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
    2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
    1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Trans cooler & oil cooler? I've never seen a PS Cooler.

Sent from my XT557 using Tapatalk 2
      Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

Its a PS cooler. It looks like a long piece of steel tube looped in front of the radiator. I always thought it was useless, but then I started noticing people have replaced power steering pumps multiple times and re-sealed steering boxes. I have the original pump at some 192k, and my steering box did not leak when replaced. It was worn out, but it didn't dump juice. The pump doesn't leak or moan excessively either. Maybe there is something to it.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

My pump only made noise when it was a little low a few months back, not sure what happened in the first 24 years but a little fluid and it's been fine since.
          1989 Country Squire - Twilight Blue, 347 stroker

2005 Crown Victoria Sport - Black - Stainless Works full exhaust with Borla Pro XS mufflers, BBK 75mm TB, Accufab plenum, CVPI airbox, Heinous control arms, etc...

Comment

pretty much the same. Fresh fluid helps, but its still quieter than the pump on the Mark VII, and I do not believe the Mark's is original or has as many miles on it.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

No PS cooler on my car. My pump looks original but makes a whine noise constantly and the previous steering gear used to leak like crazy. ~115k miles

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

From the sound of it I need a p/s cooler. Any DIY guides?
                1991 Grand Marquis LoPo 5.0

Comment

the stock cooler is just a single u-bend type tube about 1.5 feet long (about 3 feet total tubing) hung out in front of the radiator. You can use any oil/trans cooler you can mount to the front with the same size lines from the return line from the gearbox to run through it and back to the return port on the pump's reservoir.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Best and cheapest bet is to go to the junkyard and find one from a truck, van or suv.
                    2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                    2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                    2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                    1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Ok thanks guys, any preferred junkyard cars to look for?
                      1991 Grand Marquis LoPo 5.0

Comment

I have one from a 91 Cop car. veightpete@gmail.com
                        89 Colony Park
                        90 Colony Park
                        70 HEMI Daytona Convertible

Comment

Working...
                        X