Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it really worth shortening this filler neck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it really worth shortening this filler neck?

I went and got a fuel filler neck from a junkyard today, because I'm replacing the fuel pump and tank, and I was told shortening the filler neck would free up some tank capacity.

But now that I have it, it looks plenty short to me already. It only enters the tank by about 6 inches, horizontally at that. I'm not sure it's worth doing.

Click image for larger version

Name:	090815231317_01.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	1303126
    89 Grand Marquis GS.

Putting it here because I keep forgetting to mention it. It's not very exciting at the moment.

Unless you take a lot of long trips and always find yourself saying "Gee, I wish I could get a few more miles out of a tankful", I don't see the point of messing around with it.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
    mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

There seems to be plenty of room behind the diff and as if it would've killed Ford to sacrifice some volume in the trunk for volume in the tank. If only I could get 300+ miles out of a tank with combined city/hwy driving.
      1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
      1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

You might get a couple gallons at most from it. The "big" capacity was supposed to be 21 gallons, and normal is 18 gallons.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Okay, I won't bother with it then. I'll probably end up screwing something up anyway.
          89 Grand Marquis GS.

Putting it here because I keep forgetting to mention it. It's not very exciting at the moment.

Comment

That's the spirit

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
            160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
            waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

LoL.

Big capacity is 21 gallons? That'll do. Is there another tank we can buy or is that what it's total capacity is? I can't ever seem to pump more than 13-14 gallons in it when empty.

Comment

I fail to see how shortening the filler neck would result in any significant increase in tank capacity?

The volume of a thin wall cylinder that protrudes into the tank is nil.

Speaking of cruising radius... My highboy has a 14-15 gallon tank and gets about 8 MPG around town. Nice.

My VW takes 13 gallons at most (believe its a 14 gallon tank), and I can go 600 miles (650 highway only). Lol.
                **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

I think the theory behind cutting the filler neck back is to use the headspace volume that would normally be occupied by air. Caveat would at least include leaking as cold fuel warms up and expands in full tank.

Comment

Originally posted by P72Ford View Post
                    I fail to see how shortening the filler neck would result in any significant increase in tank capacity?

The volume of a thin wall cylinder that protrudes into the tank is nil.

Speaking of cruising radius... My highboy has a 14-15 gallon tank and gets about 8 MPG around town. Nice.

My VW takes 13 gallons at most (believe its a 14 gallon tank), and I can go 600 miles (650 highway only). Lol.
                    The idea is that the gas pump shuts off when the level hits the top of the mouth of the fuel filler tube. Raise the height of that, and you could theoretically get a couple more inches into the gas tank, in terms of the height/level of gas in the tank. Not sure how that'd work in practice with evap though.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                    160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                    waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

If the tank is vented, fuel will always displace the air, until the fuel reaches the gas pump nozzle in the filler neck. If there were no safety on the pump, you would be able to fill the tank until gas ran out the vent, and eventually the neck, as that is usually the highest opening in the system. This all assumes you pump slow enough for the fuel flow into the tank not to be faster than the rate at which air exits the tank vent. Otherwise the fuel will rush up the filler neck and kill the pump.

The risk of potential leaks does not make this a worth while endeavor.
                      **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                      **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                      **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                      **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Yup, Mr. Ventholes can't discharge the air faster than the gas coming down and so Click! Owners manual frowns on people like me who keep going until there's gas in the filler neck. Only on road trips though!

Comment

Never really gotten the issues with tank capacity in these cars. by the time I need gas, I want to get out of the car for a few minutes anyway. Being able to drive for another 45-50 minutes would not make my life more pleasing on a long trip.
                          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Ya, normally you'd stop somewhere on long trips, but I can see situations where someone would like to stop somewhere that doesn't have a gas station and defer getting gas until the next stop but they can't because they don't have enough to make it all the way. Even that's still only a very minor inconvenience.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
                            mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

I get 250-275 a tank typically. Thats like 3 1/2 hours of driving. Long enough to want to stretch, pee, and hydrate.

Comment

Working...
                              X