X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you think? (daytime pic)

1990 LTD Crown Victoria station wagon
    White
    Mileage reads 05,XXX. I'm thinking 205k, but not sure.
    Body is great shape except damage to front of rear passenger wheel well- not bad
    Interior is Beautiful. Cargo plastic has typical scrapes, but carpet is still there. Seats are cloth and look untouched.
    It has what looks like the turbine-style wheels and the tires have probably 50% tread.

They're asking $2,500. Personally, I think it'd be a legitimate price, considering I paid $2800 for mine and it needed tires, the A/C was duct taped, and the alternator went out five days later.

My dad is interested in it. I told him if he'd offer them $1,700-1,800 they'd probably take it. Would you guys consider it to be worth that? I haven't heard it run yet, but let's assume it's running well (doubt it runs perfectly, but if the motor/trans are in the same shape as the rest of it...)
    2011 Mustang GT Premium, MT82, Kona/Saddle, HIDs, 3.73s, 19s, hood/side stripes, UPR 1.5" springs with adjustable panhard bar, and UMI solid LCAs and relocation brackets.
    1992 Explorer Eddie Bauer, slight lift, 34s, and A/C...
    1979 Bronco Custom, 351M/C6/NP205, 4" lift, 35s, lots of fender trimming.

Considering what wagons have been doing for, thats a good price!
    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Got a super duper deal on mine so can't say, but seems high to me.
      2000 Grand Marquis LS
      2000 F150 XLT 6 inches of lift.
      1987 Bill Blass Mark VII - Sold
      1985 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park- SOLD. to a little old lady
      Mercury Owners Group member
      Save The Whales, Restore an Old Station Wagon!!

Comment

Originally posted by 85MercPark
        Got a super duper deal on mine so can't say, but seems high to me.
        Well, I'm also considering how valuable a decent car would be for him. Our wagons hold nearly 2.5x what his car does (which counts, since he's a mail carrier) and a new motor for his car (blown, thanks to yours truly) is 5k installed (those Subaru boxer engines are scary).

The ONLY problem I saw was the wheel well damage I mentioned and if it runs well, he'll be strongly considering it. If it has A/C, I can almost guarantee he's buying it.

Just trying to get opinions on whether I should more steadily enforce the idea to show up with $1700. I doubt he'd pay over $2,000 for it. I think it'd be worth the $2,500, personally, but I don't buy cars often and when I do, I never give asking price- I learned that the hard way. Three times.
        2011 Mustang GT Premium, MT82, Kona/Saddle, HIDs, 3.73s, 19s, hood/side stripes, UPR 1.5" springs with adjustable panhard bar, and UMI solid LCAs and relocation brackets.

Comment

Most definately go for the 1700.
          2000 Grand Marquis LS
          2000 F150 XLT 6 inches of lift.
          1987 Bill Blass Mark VII - Sold
          1985 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park- SOLD. to a little old lady
          Mercury Owners Group member
          Save The Whales, Restore an Old Station Wagon!!

Comment

Originally posted by 85MercPark
            Most definitely go for the 1700.
            That's why I ask these things. I'll keep that in mind when I drive it. I'll find things to point out to drop the price.

"This isn't worth $2,500- look: there's oil spilled on the valve cover; there's a smudge on the rearview mirror; the window switch panels need to be cleaned! What kind of joint are you running here?!"

Comment

Personally I wouldn't be paying any more than a grand for something with over 200k miles on it everything is worn by then. Interior, suspension, engine, etc it might wind up being a money pit. But if its 105K miles 1500-1600 is fair game. I paid $1k for a sedan with about 65k miles.
              -Matt
              1968 Fairlane 500 - 1998 Camaro Z/28

Comment

Originally posted by nitroracer
                Personally I wouldn't be paying any more than a grand for something with over 200k miles on it everything is worn by then. Interior, suspension, engine, etc it might wind up being a money pit. But if its 105K miles 1500-1600 is fair game. I paid $1k for a sedan with about 65k miles.
                I'm going to check out the suspension parts when I drive it after work... but it's not like it needs to be smooth on the highway- he only drives about 5mph, from one mailbox to the next. Glad you mentioned that... but the interior is immaculate- can't see ANY wear- not even on the driver's seat. The dash isn't cracked or peeling or anything.

Comment

Look at the foot pedals if you want to gauge the mileage, the steering wheel and seats can clean up. The trim right near the door sills show wear too.
                  -Matt
                  1968 Fairlane 500 - 1998 Camaro Z/28

Comment

He bought it for $2k. It needs a heater core and two window motors. 105k miles! The interior is IMMACULATE. Now, I'm trying to convince him that my vinyl seats would hold up better than his velour(?) on his mail route (rain + windows down) so I can swap him. It's beautiful, guys. A/C works great, too!

Pictures to come ASAP.

Comment

We went pick it up today (Yea- an excuse to get out of the office!)

I idled REALLY smoothly, but the thermostat didn't open up after five minutes. It's really cold down here, so that may have something to do with it. Dad said the temp gauge started moving around after he got going, so maybe it opened. Either way, it's getting a new water pump, timing chain, thermostat, distributor cap, rotor, wires, and plugs.

That's our usual maintenance when we pick up a used car. I'm thinking it was well worth the $2,000, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Freshmeat
                        Now, I'm trying to convince him that my vinyl seats would hold up better than his velour(?) on his mail route (rain + windows down)
                        Yep, the vinyl should hold up to moisture just fine, during the summer I drove my friend's lil sisters to the beach pretty much every weekend, on the way back they were always like out of the water wrap a towel and jump in the car, water everywhere - so far no problem whatsoever with the seats.

Comment

I just made it home. It drives really well. I'm almost jealous. Here's a list of the problems I've found:

Front passenger window doesnt roll down (motor)
                          Tailgate window doesn't roll down (motor)
                          Driver door doesn't unlock from outside (can't even get key in it)
                          Tape deck is shot
                          Transmission is showing signs of problems (I have two we can rebuild)

Other than those, most of which are minimal, it's a great score.

Comment

Door lock is almost certainly the lock motor gone bad. They freeze up. Simple fix, just replace it. I've seen them on eBay all the time for maybe $20. Anything from an 80s Ford will work, just change the rod.

T-stat prolly shot, stuck open tho making it not get warm.

Now :picsorst:
                            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I took these last night, but it was dark, so I couldn't get too much detail. It's the best I can do right now.

You can somewhat make out the turbine wheels. I think this thing looks good. The interior is literally immaculate. After driving it for a day, it needs the driver's door lock, two window motors, the A/C needs resealing and charging, and a heater core. I also think the TV cable is acting up, so I'm driving as little as possible until I figure it out.

Comment

Working...
                              X