What is this and is it necessary?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is this and is it necessary?

This thing is rattling like a mother. It appears there are hoses that connect to it that are also broke. What is it and can I remove it?

It's underneath where the battery sits. 1987 GM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carbon canister. Catches fuel vapors from your vented fuel tank. From there they are sucked into the engine on occasion to be burnt. That's at least two connections - from the tank and to the engine (look for a solenoid with a vacuum hose coming out of both ends behind the battery.

Not sure why it would rattle unless the crap has come loose in there.
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

I hit a guard rail a year ago around that area. The thing just doesn't clip onto the bracket all that well. Will removing this effect performance?

Comment

Not really. Plug up the vacuum line coming off the engine that connects to it though. You may get some fuel smell with it removed.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Ruh roh! Yep, what they said. Personally I like everything to be connected like it's supposed to but if emissions aren't a big deal where you are, screw it. Here in kalifornia the smog Nazis will take away your papers for not having every bit of crap hooked up and properly functioning, so I (mostly) try to keep it that way.

Comment

Michigan here. We don't care about the environment. I do not envy you people in CA worth these old cars

Comment

LoL. Gas and hydrocarbons stick to your clothes though. I was all for throwing that stuff in the trash until I realized that.
              1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
              1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Originally posted by rsolis View Post
                Michigan here. We don't care about the environment. I do not envy you people in CA worth these old cars

At least they are not rusted through.
                1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LE SOLD

1972 Ford F100 Custom - 5.9 - Stock

2011 Ford Fusion SE - 2.5 - Stock

2018 Toyota Highlander XLE

Comment

True story. About the only good thing about California is no-rust and you can usually count on the A/C to be working on a car that's been driven much. Otherwise, screw California.

Comment

Working...
                  X