Top speeds for our cars.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Top speeds for our cars.

The State was repaving a part of Rt. 93 yesterday morning. They had State Police cars at every exit with flashing blue lights. Around Exit 18 at JFK/UMASS, I signaled left and floored it merging on the open part of Rt. 93. I notice headlights following me fast in my rear view and he or she pulls along side doing about 75-80 mph. It's a Massachusetts State Trooper in a '98-up CVPI, full paint, light bar, etc. We look at each other and he or she speeds off and jumps into slower traffic on the right. My speedo only goes up to 85 mph and I almost had it pegged and he or she didn't put his or her lights on. (This was after the impromptu street race with the white 5.0L Mustang GT on a city street).

What is the top speed for stock cars, 108-112 mph? I heard the 5.0L HO ECM is unlimited. How high could a box panther go before aerodynamic issues kick in? The Florida Highway Patrol has 27, 150 mph '04 Marauders modded by Reinhart Automotive, FL (270hp at the wheels). How fast can a box go at top speed? The MSP also had a new Impala with flashing blue rear lights, no light bar, on the road. Any numbers on the Impala? Is this the 303 hp V8 FWD LS1 V8 "SEMA" Impala?

'90 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
    Baseline 5.0L numbers totally stock, 123 rwhp, 239 rwtq
    5.4L swap coming soon.

if that impala has a v8(doubtful if its a 9c1-chevy said that for another year or so the 9c1's are not getting the 8, only the SS)i can just imagine the inherent torque steer making the car plow into a wall.

there was a guy who had a beige box that had his to 11x in the 1/4 mile, with the slips to prove it. michigan state police in 89 had the vic to 119mph with the 351 and the 9c1 that year hit 122mph. the chevy also had 10 more horsies

police car tests

i used to have the 1991 issue of motor trend. iirc the they had the 351 car up past 13xmph. but its been awhile since i read that issue lol.
    Save a seal, club a liberal.

Comment

I've been told my car has hit 120mph from a few friends following in a big olde' mercedies diesel. He couldn't keep up at all, all the guys in the car thought I was nuts. This is with an HO & Mustang computer. I don't know how true this is since I still have the 85mph cluster but it was pegged past 85 for a few seconds after I had let off the gas.
      -Matt
      1968 Fairlane 500 - 1998 Camaro Z/28

Comment

My speedo also ends at 85mph, I've gotten it to point past the "OD" of the gear selector numerous times. The highest speed I have a number for is 120mph during a freeway chase with some friends in a V6 Mustang, and the only reason we stopped there was that traffic got denser and the chances of getting pulled over increased. Based on the overall ratios for the AOD tranny and the revs/min of the stock tires the top speed with 3.08 gears and a stock engine should be over 150mph, but whether that's achievable I'm not really inclined to test

Comment

evilcrownvic : I have to check the Chevrolet website again and find out what's available these days. The MSP has had everything from 5.0L Mustangs and Crown Vics in the mid 90s to Impalas, CVPIs, SUVs and LS1 Camaros now.

Does anyone compete in a top speed racing class? I would test it if I had a track or runway, timing equipment and a safety crew there.

'90 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
          Baseline 5.0L numbers totally stock, 123 rwhp, 239 rwtq
          5.4L swap coming soon.

Comment

When I had 31's on my old car and the speedo was 30 mph slow i usd to run 110 all day long. I think the speed limiter is like 115 on em if they have one. Id say about 135ish top speed.
            1989 Grand Marquis LS
            flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

As for stock around 120mph, maybe a little less, maybe a little more.

Back when it was my Dad car, and we had just finished the engine swap. at about 2000miles on the engine he stretched it out on the Iowa state interstate. Speedo stops at 140mph, so I don't know exactly what the top speed was. We guess around 150-155mph.

Comment

I didn't think the stock ECM had a speed limit, only a rev limiter that was way higher than the engine could achieve on a practical basis anyway. I think you'd be more likely to run out of steam in a lopo well before you'd ever hit a speed or rev limit. My stock ECM wouldn't have had a speed limiter, since it has no input from the VSS (non-integrated cruise). Later ones could possibly have one, but you'd know when it kicked in because the engine would either cut out or start dropping cylinders. The one in my S10 cut at 95 like you switched the key off.

That said, I've also stood my speedo over on the shift indicator. It stops when it hits OD. If I were to shift to N it might physically move more but it wouldn't serve any purpose.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Gadget, what do you mean by running out of steam? Every time I've hit the "OD" I've been left with the impression that he engine can go higher, it's just the fact that around here where there are no cops you can't drive a box much faster than 120mph, and where you can there are speed traps at like every mile

Comment

My brother and I were racing a few years ago when we got pulled over. Getting out of the car, I could hear my brother over in his 1994 Celica GT that he didn't know how fast he was going... that's the last thing an officer wants to hear.
                    I got over there (after realizing I didn't have proof of insurance, an updated inspection sticker, updated license plate, or an exhaust system) with only my ID. He was still talking to my brother.
                    Another officer pulled up and came running over yelling, "Who won? Who won?!" They were both kinda being dicks, but how would you treat two guys street racing in the middle of the night if your job depended on it?
                    (My brother) "Actually, we were door-to-door the whole time."
                    Officer stared at the wagon, then the Celica, then the wagon, then looks at me and says, "What do you have in that thing?!"
                    "It's just a V8."
                    (mockingly) "It's just a V8... --how fast were you going?"
                    Me: "I dont know. Hehehe."
                    Cop: "What do you mean, you don't know?"
                    "My shit was pegged out."
                    "What?!"
                    "My speedometer had been pegged out since Hwy 621 (at least a mile back)."
                    "That wasn't an indication to slow down?!"
                    "Well, sure, but then he'd have passed me up!"
                    At that point, both cops slacked off and we got our tickets written for 85, even though he clocked us at 100 (as we were braking for the red light).
                    Later that night, my brother admitted that his speedometer was reading 127mph. It felt like if I'd have given it ANY more gas, I wouldn't have had an engine left to drive home. The next week, I pulled my motor and found chunks of metal in the oil pan and an entire piston skirt had broken off.
                    2011 Mustang GT Premium, MT82, Kona/Saddle, HIDs, 3.73s, 19s, hood/side stripes, UPR 1.5" springs with adjustable panhard bar, and UMI solid LCAs and relocation brackets.
                    1992 Explorer Eddie Bauer, slight lift, 34s, and A/C...
                    1979 Bronco Custom, 351M/C6/NP205, 4" lift, 35s, lots of fender trimming.

Comment

ive had mine to 190kmph, it wouldnt go any further with 400,000kms on the clock

im sure with the fresh engine it will do much more

Comment

i've gotten scared before my car ran out of steam......i call it ludicrous speed lol.......towny goes so fast that it pushes the grill out of whack

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                        2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                        1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                        1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                        2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

There is not an electronic limiter other than a 6250 rev limit on both the lopo and HO ECMs. It's all aerodynamic and HP limited. I think my old 87 was up around 120 on the highway. 115 was easy to hit. 16 seconds from a standstill. That was a gear issue. 3.55's prolly would have gotten a couple more MPH, and so would a shift kit that allowed WOT in OD. I got pulled over in the 91 Marq, but I have no idea how fast I was going-niether did the cop. Just that it was quite a bit over 100...
                          Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

I hit around 110 in my car shortly after I converted to carb...
                            1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                            Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

You can run wide open id OD. Ive done it in the capri. It has a box tranny.
                              1989 Grand Marquis LS
                              flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

Working...
                              X