pulled the dist and the cam - help?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pulled the dist and the cam - help?!

I just put in the HO cam today in Anabelle I pulled the distributor but I don't know how to line it up to put it back in to get the timing near right. I didn't put any marks on it but there are some already on there that I believe are right. I just don't want the pistons to hit the valves due to outta whack timing.
    1989 Lincoln Town Car - "Anabelle" - Original block, .030 over with SpeedPro pistons, rods fitted with ARP hardware, FRPP +volume oil pump, GT-40 3bar heads, Crane 1.72 rockers, 89' Fox cam, 93' Cobra lower intake, Explorer upper and 65mm TB, 93' Lightning EGR spacer, K&N intake kit from a 4.0L Ranger, 19lb/hr injectors w/ 87 Mark VII ECM, cat/smog deletes, Big Brake conversion, 3.55 K-Code Trac-Lok/Disc brake rear axle, CVPI LCA's w/1" sway bar in rear, wagon front sway bar, BBK 2.5" off-road H-Pipe, Flowmaster super 40s, HPP wheels, 3G alternator w/LMR.com wiring kit, gear reduction starter conversion, Best 1/4 time: 16.0 @ 85mph.

All you have to do is make sure your cam and crank gear are aligned properly. The dots will point at one another. This will be TDC on #1. Get the distributor dropped so the rotor is pointing straight back, and point the TFI module at roughly 5 o'clock. That should get you close enough to fire it and tweak the timing from there. Just remember you're gonna have to change the order of the ignition wires with the HO cam.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

JUST the plug wires. no other wiring

As for lining everything up :stupid:
      Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

You need to have the distributor in a position so that it has room to rotate to adjust timing without the TFI module hitting anything right away. I take an old distributor cap and drill a hole in front of the #1 cyl post. Once you align the timing marks on the cam and crank gear (crank gear mark pointing up cam gear mark pointing down) and button up the motor, set the dampener to 10 degrees BTDC. You can then align the ignition rotor with the hole in the cap and be pretty close for base timing. The rotor will rotate as you install the distributor, so you rotate it the opposite way a bit before instalation so that it ends up where you want it when you are done.

Comment

Working...
        X