explorer 5.0 parts swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

explorer 5.0 parts swap

I have a chance to get my hands on a 99 explorer 5.0 with ecm, and I wanna swap parts without pulling the motor on my 89 5.0 and id like to remove as much smog stuff as I can in the process, what am I looking at as far as parts needed to complete this in a weekend, unless you think it'd be worth it just to swap the entire engine but its my daily so i dont have much down time, I've searched about the HO stuff swapping pretty easy, its just I'm not too familiar with the smog removal combined with this swap too , thanks in advance

And my next question can you fit a 5.0 in the trunk lol because that would make my life easier

Comment

Perhaps find a friend with a truck. Or rent one from U-Haul or even Home Depot? Probably can fit the engine in the trunk, but it's gonna sag the crap outta your rear. My little S-10 had a very difficult time carrying my 351W from the JY. Sagged the rear and strained the 2.8L and 5-speed.

As far as the engine thing. I would get your Explorer engine and build that up to where you want it and swap engines. IMO, that would be easier than switching out the cam, heads, and intake with the engine in the bay; plus less time consuming, unless you're a seasoned vet. Hopefully some of the people who are more skilled than I am can lead you in the right direction.

Packman

Comment

I would swap the whole engine if the Explorer 5.O is low mileage.

Without doing that all you can swap are the U/L intakes and TB, if you swap the heads you'll need special headers to work with those "P" heads. As far as the smog stuff, just leave the air pump and all it's related junk off, the Explorer heads are not drilled for your thermactor so you couldn't put the air pump back on even if you wanted to.

Whether you swap the whole engine or not, the Explorer ecm won't work. But you will need a computer from a 5.O,
        H.O. Mark 7 if you do swap engines. Also, your lopo EGR spacer will have to be bored out to use with the Explorer TB.

"maybe" you'll be able to do this in a weekend???? but I doubt it, too much has to be modified.

been there, done that!!!

Comment

Hopefully this motor is out of the truck otherwise your going to have lots o fun taking the intake and heads off

Yes 302 will fit in the trunk but unless you have some upgraded springs and shocks it will sag like a mofo

With little downtime as suggested it's a good idea to build th motor while it's out also the exp ECM is worthless unless you have a bunch of trickery to make it work mustang or mark vii is recommended

Far as the swap goes it's just like a ho cept you will need p headers Mac,bbk 1515, or frpp p specific ones , some type of modded egr spacer or the hard to find lightning egr and slightly modded tb
          89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

Well I've swapped heads cam on a sbc a few times in my rx7 which has a lot less engine room so I wouldnt imagine it would be hard to swap those things over if need be, the motors already out n I'm not sure if its got factory manifolds on it or not could I use those for now or no? The explorer has 147k while my 5.0 only has 50k and I know its good , ill have to pick up that other ecm then, and I've got f150 shocks n wagon coils in the back so I think if worst comes to worst I can put it in the trunk lol

Comment

The Explorer exhaust manifolds won't work.

The only way I know of not having to modify the stock exhaust system on your car is to use non "p" heads from a 96 or early 97 Explorer 5.O., or use 90TC tubular exhaust manifolds and "ding" them. Nothing else I'm aware of will bolt right up without changes to your stock exhaust.
              Last edited by mcninetyone; 11-27-2011, 11:07 PM.

Comment

That's what I've been figuring out, if you got any insight on where to find these id appreciate it

Comment

Originally posted by mcninetyone View Post
                  The Explorer exhaust manifolds won't work.

The only way I know of not having to modify the stock exhaust system on your car is to use non "p" heads from a 96 or early 97 Explorer 5.O., or use 90TC tubular exhaust manifolds and "ding" them. Nothing else I'm aware of will bolt right up without changes to your stock exhaust.
                  90 TownCar manifolds will work, if like you said you 'ding' them, but also you'll need to run 90* spark plug wire boots, and the spark plug boot protectors, for cylinders 5, 6, and 7.

Comment

I would strongly recommend getting the "p" headers instead of the lincoln logs.
                    2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                    2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                    2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                    1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Originally posted by pantera77 View Post
                      I would strongly recommend getting the "p" headers instead of the lincoln logs.
                      Agreed, however if you want to keep it on the cheap side... you can do the lincoln logs.

Comment

Working...
                      X