Air injection pipe deletion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Air injection pipe deletion?

So the trick flow twisted wedge heads I picked up do not have the provision for the air injection pipes....this means I must do away with it.

Now I am not sure how that all worked but I would like to find out what else is involved in that system and what can be deleted in addition to the air injection pipes.

Is that part of the egr system? Can someone describe the entire system to me? And most importantly what else can I remove from the vehicle now that the air injection pipe is no longer in use?

Greatly appreciate the help...
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Its not part of the EGR. The system consists of the smog pump, the bypass valve, the diverter valve, the pipe around the back of the heads, and the other one down to the converters along with the 2 control solenoids for the valves. The air pump pumps air through the bypass valve and to the diverter valve. The bypass valve basically just turns the thing on or off by pumping air to atmosphere or further up the pipe. The diverter valve switches air from the back of the heads to the cats. On a cold start, air pumps to the back of the heads to warm the converters up quicker. Its active for about 5 minutes. After that it switches down to the converter to warm it further and to take care of any reactions that need more oxygen. More modern converters do not require this either. Most of the time by now the passages in the heads are so blocked up with carbon that it doesn't work anymore anyhow.

Basically the nutshell version, remove everything but the control solenoids. The vacuum plumbing over there can be simplified as well to just a single vacuum line in and out of the EGR solenoid. You can dump the solenoids too if you want, but it throws a different error code, though it may be possible to tune that out. I know the thermactor (smog pump) system can be switched off with tuning software to get rid of the codes that show up if you remove it. Use the shorter belt (56") to run the AC without the smog pump in the system. The vacuum line that goes to the side of the smog pump comes from the cruise servo. Trace that line out to find the check valve and the funky tee check valve. Replace the tee with the other check valve to connect the cruise servo back to the vacuum manifold and you're done.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Wow Thain. Thanks a billion!

Now just to put faces to the names.....you know what I mean.... I have this diagram (actually for an 87 stang) but is this something I can correctly use to make sense of what you said?

~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Largely its the same, though that pic is the vacuum side of the system. The only thing vacuum is used for on the thermactor (the air injection nonsense's official name) system is to open and close the valves. If you've ever heard mention of a TAD or TAB solenoid, those are Thermactor Air Bypass and Thermactor Air Diverter, respectively. Its that twofer solenoid pack over on the fender. The one near them but by itself is the EVR, Egr Vacuum Regulator.
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Very interesting. I wonder if my flowmaster hi-flow cats benefit from the air pump system. I guess I could try and ask flowmaster but chances are they will not advise deleting any part of an emission system .

It would be nice to get rid of "old creaky" which is how I fondly refer to my air pump.
          03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
          02 SL500 Silver Arrow
          08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
          12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

all it does is warm up the cats faster as far as the cats are concerned.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I was contemplating leaving the smog pump on and deleting the rest of the A/C system (that hadn't been hacked apart) on my CV. I may leave the smog pump off if all it does is warm the cats up a little quicker. I know the current lopo smog pump was running before cutting the belt off. I have no clue on the donor engine.

Packman

Comment

Fix the AC, toss the smog pump. The AC does useful things. The smog pump just makes noise. The one on the Towncar sounded like a cheap 50s sci-fi movie when I removed it. The one on the Mark VII sounded like a drunkard with castanets.

Comment

One of my concerns was that I would overheat the cats on my car if this stiff was deleted but now it seems as if I may be okay?

I have a NOS 1987 Mustang h pipe on the car which is in great shape and just dont want to replace it if I do not have to.
                  ~David~

Comment

the best way to not nuke the cats... don't run rich (except warmup/WOT) or lean. The smog stuff is ONLY for initial warm up emissions. It's useless after the engine is at operating temp (except for that vacuum for the cruise servo - but even my lopo hasn't had any issues there since removing the pump... only the AC bleed-out issues).

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

The cat's won't care if it's there or not. You'll be fine.

You could have if you wanted get the TFS heads with the ports on them, but you really don't have to be emissions legal anymore so it doesn't matter.
                      2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                      2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                      2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                      1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

If I researched the heads more beforehand I would have purchased them that way. I actually purchased them second hand new and just thought they were all that way because they are "performance" heads.

After this conversation though I don't mind taking dead weight put of the bay.
                        ~David~

Comment

So sly, the cruise functions well even with the delete?
                          03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                          02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                          08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                          12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Mine does, though it sometimes will start to loose it's stuff on a long uphill run and need a little manual accelerator help. I fixed most of that by sorting out the vacuum leaks and replacing the check valve but its imperfect.

Comment

yup. works especially well now with the 3.55 gears

Comment

Working...
                              X