Cheap upgrades for a non HO 5.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheap upgrades for a non HO 5.0

What are some cheap upgrades or chamges I can make to get some more power from my 5.0. My car is a 1990 Grand Marquis

First, full tune up. Plugs, wires, cap, rotor, coil , PVC trio, vacuum lines, ect...

Exhaust, factory duals minimum. If you can find some, 1990 Town Car tubular manifolds. If you want to go further, Mustang shorties, H-pipe, ect...

HO upper intake, Modded HO throttle Body, and factory EGR spacer bored out to 63mm

3.55's or better gears out back with a trac-lok

1.7 roller rockers, underdrive crank pulley, electric fan, shift kit, smog delete, a/c delete, ..... sky's the limit.

Lurk around, all this has been covered thousands of times.
    2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
    2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
    2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
    1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Originally posted by pantera77 View Post
      1990 Town Car tubular manifolds.
      Why from a 90 TC? Is there a difference between those and other Lincoln/Ford factory headers?

'93 T-bird
      '03 Silverado ECSB

Missed:
      '88 Mark VII
      '86 CV

Comment

Originally posted by purplebomb302 View Post
        Why from a 90 TC? Is there a difference between those and other Lincoln/Ford factory headers?
        Yep one year only. They are kind of sought after because they are a direct bolt on for the factory h-pipe. They flow a touch better and are significantly lighter then the stock cast iron manifolds.

2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
        1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

just incase anyone is wondering....from top to bottom

-Stock box cast iron exhaust manifolds
          -Stock 1990 Town Car exhaust manifolds (Lincoln Logs)
          -Stock Fox Body Mustang (86/7 and up) headers
          -Aftermarket Ford Racing (Ceramic coated?) headers
          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
          my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by pantera77 View Post
            Yep one year only. They are kind of sought after because they are a direct bolt on for the factory h-pipe. They flow a touch better and are significantly lighter then the stock cast iron manifolds.

Good to know.

'93 T-bird
            '03 Silverado ECSB

Missed:
            '88 Mark VII
            '86 CV

Comment

Love it, Lincoln logs! Who knew.

Comment

Pull out the 5.0 and swap in a 5.8.

'90 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
                Baseline 5.0L numbers totally stock, 123 rwhp, 239 rwtq
                5.4L swap coming soon.

Comment

Originally posted by N A View Post
                  Pull out the 5.0 and swap in a 5.8.

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...pts-Roller-Cam

Do not under any circumstance buy one of these LMR engines. They are garbage.

Comment

The cheapest mods are HO tb ($12) 2.5 short dual exhaust with side exits (less bends more flow) around $300. The power increase is immediate and noticeable.
                    “Cars are the only thing on earth that will beat you, break you, make you bleed, make you cry, spend all your money, spend all your time, not work and not care that you will love more, the more they abuse you.” -Anonymous

Comment

exhaust , remove a set of cats or go highflow , good tune up plugs ,wires, cap, rotor, coil. and more timing, cold air intake ( u will have to make) or a k&n drop in . 1.7 rollor rockers , underdrive pullys . those are all easy or cheaper things
                      sigpicTHE H.I.D MASTER
                      87 mercury grand marquis
                      88 crown vic lx
                      89 mercury colony park ls (sold)
                      89 mercury grand marquis (sold)
                      00 ford crown vic lx hpp
                      03 mercury marauder aka punisher (sold )

Comment

Originally posted by visionmercury View Post
                        ...or a k&n drop in...
                        I went with a Fram Air Hog air filter (a K & N look-alike), and it gave a small but noticeable improvement in throttle response.

Truly,
                        Robert Bernardo

Comment

Originally posted by visionmercury View Post
                          exhaust , remove a set of cats or go highflow , good tune up plugs ,wires, cap, rotor, coil. and more timing, cold air intake ( u will have to make) or a k&n drop in . 1.7 rollor rockers , underdrive pullys . those are all easy or cheaper things
                          Stock cat's are not a restriction, especially on a lopo.
                          A full tune up should be the first thing anyone does when they buy one of these cars.
                          A small bump in timing never hurts.
                          Factory air intake is as cold air of an intake you can get, and is not a restriction on a HO, let alone a lopo. Unless you want more noise, then by all means thrown some crappy conical filter on there.
                          1.7 RR's are a great upgrade on a lopo
                          Only under drive pulley that fits with no mods is the ASP racing one, and I'm not sure they even still make them.

Comment

Great post

Comment

Working...
                            X