Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Straight piping on the 5.0 pros and cons?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the Mustang X pipe, or at least on the fox cars, includes the converters. Its not behind the cats like ours use. Even if they changed that design later on, the chances that it will mate up are probably not good. I also doubt the tailpipes will fit at all.

Cat back from a later panther is a better chance of fitting.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Price depends on where you live my exhaust was 250.. I supplied the mufflers.. Althea shop did the rest including making me an H pipe because I got tired if dealing with mustang H pipes that wouldn't fit properly... And I agree with gadget.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Straight pipe it! Duals, H-pipe, $4-500-ish wouldn't be outtta line with CAT deletes.

As far as the illegally loud, they are right, I wanted to cuss out the frickin' bastard small-town cop that pulled me over in my home city and demanded I get mufflers within a week. But I have video of the car idling/revving with the HO Mustang motor and 2.5" duals with H-pipe all the way out the back over the axle: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sSYq37EIOI

The sound is all out back from the trunk area, VERY liveable for day-to-day driving, but you'd better let off the gas if any cops are passing by. Had a guy on a motorcycle STARE at me because of the exhaust note exiting a gas station/accellerating before I had to put the Turbo Mufflers on it (didn't want to do the Flobastards like everybody and their brother does.).

Well, it's time to put exhaust on my mom's '90 TC, so the Turbo Muffs are going on her car, and I'm getting proper glasspacks shoved up under mine, ASAP. Fuck THA PO-LICE.

If they don't pull over every goddamn bastard Harley rider that goes through town and give them tickets for illegal exhaust, then they are PROFILING ME, MOTHERFUCKERS! I bet it was the purple rims, the cop was probably looking for a hot date.
        Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

Originally posted by sxcpotatoes View Post
          Straight pipe it! Duals, H-pipe, $4-500-ish wouldn't be outtta line with CAT deletes.

As far as the illegally loud, they are right, I wanted to cuss out the frickin' bastard small-town cop that pulled me over in my home city and demanded I get mufflers within a week. But I have video of the car idling/revving with the HO Mustang motor and 2.5" duals with H-pipe all the way out the back over the axle: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sSYq37EIOI

The sound is all out back from the trunk area, VERY liveable for day-to-day driving, but you'd better let off the gas if any cops are passing by. Had a guy on a motorcycle STARE at me because of the exhaust note exiting a gas station/accellerating before I had to put the Turbo Mufflers on it (didn't want to do the Flobastards like everybody and their brother does.).

Well, it's time to put exhaust on my mom's '90 TC, so the Turbo Muffs are going on her car, and I'm getting proper glasspacks shoved up under mine, ASAP. Fuck THA PO-LICE.

If they don't pull over every goddamn bastard Harley rider that goes through town and give them tickets for illegal exhaust, then they are PROFILING ME, MOTHERFUCKERS! I bet it was the purple rims, the cop was probably looking for a hot date.
          Cutouts FTW!!! That's what I have along with Dynomax Hemi Super Turbos on the CV. Quiet when you need them to be; loud when you want it to be

Packman

Comment

I prefer the sound of MAC Flowpath mufflers on a 5.0L, I had the MAC 2.5" offroad H-pipe, and complete MAC 2.5" catback on my 94 Mustang GT. I loved the sound nice deep rumble, the wife got complimented by a sheriffs deputy on its sound. However, at highway speed they would drone something fierce, but I just think this may be a characteristic of the engine in general. Looking at the stock system, one muffler was a bit longer than the other.

I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for but, 5.0 Mustang Magazine did a comparison of 16 different mufflers plus no mufflers quite a few years ago. As for sound, the MAC mufflers were rated using a 370HP 5.0L as follows. MAC, 87db at idle, 98db at 2,000 rpm, 119db at WOT(only no mufflers were rated louder) making 372.3 HP and 331.5TQ #6 on the list. For reference No Muffler, 91db at idle, 103db at 2,000 rpm, MAX. (120+db) making 365.2HP and 330.5TQ #17 on the list. Your mileage may vary. http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-foru...estion.626178/

1990 Grand Marquis GS
            Bone Stock

Comment

Have MAC pro dumps on my car with tail pipes and I love em

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I've got the stock Walker dual exhaust on my car, 100% stock from the manifolds to the 4 cats but I had the shop bend pipe to put in place of mufflers. I like the sound, in fact a tad quiet for me but the tone is great especially since it was the cheapest dual conversion I could get, pipe is cheaper than glasspacks. Since I have a stock H-pipe on it that helps, it keeps the sound smooth so it doesn't sound like a late 70's Chevy C/K, and the H-pipe gives it more torque (there's a reason they have one stock) so don't go without one. That's the setup I recommend, it's the easiest and cheapest way to do it, if you want to keep your cats and if they're not clogged no reason to get rid of them. If you do want at least glasspacks, make sure it's a perforated core glasspack like a Thrush or standard (not classic) Cherry Bomb, the louvered core glasspacks are junk, they sound and flow terrible, I put one on my truck and regret spending the $18 on it.

Also as far as manifolds go, the stock downpipes (the pipes with the cats) will only bolt up to Lincoln logs, if you get HO manifolds or shorties you'll need new downpipes made or use a Mustang H-pipe but not sure if they fit too well. If you want a cat delete you can always have new downpipes made to fit your stock manifolds or Lincoln logs. If my transmission hadn't crapped out I was going to get Lincoln logs and have catless downpipes made and bolt them to my stock H-pipe and run mufflers like Thrush Turbos or Welded. That'd be a good flowing system for a stock engine and sound great too.

Good luck, putting my muffler-less duals on my car really let it breathe, duals with restrictive stock mufflers is worth 10hp alone so I added at least 15hp to my car.
                88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
                Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

on a lopo, straigt pipes sound like a lawnmower with rotted exhaust from outside the vehicle. Shorter exhaust and Flowmasters do sound really good on a lopo for manufacturing the sound of hp... and it's not easy to make 150hp sound like 300hp lol. Headers give you your 8-10hp or so gain, than the rest is just for fun as a whopping 150hp lopo doesn't flow more than even the stock exhaust can happily flow.

If you get into gt40 setup HO motors aproaching the 300hp mark than duals/hi-flow cats/glasspacks give maybe 10hp gains over stock piping... and glasspacks of any kind really start sounding good as the motor is putting out good healthy pressure pulses to start with. Electric cutouts really sound good aswell with a little mini flame show on nitrous lol.

With either motor setup I highly reccomend turndowns ending at your rear axle tubes... saves tailpipe money, flows much better without the crazy straw tailpipes, and you hear the punchy pulses much better vs a unified drone tone.

Backpressure is always bad... always. Where people start with the concept of backpressure being good for tq is all myth based on most street legal cars making more hp and tq WITH exhaust pipes than with open headers... which is true, but it's because exhaust pipes reduce backpressure.
                  Your engine is basically an above ground swimming pool, and your exhaust is a length of garden hose. Siphoning effect is like scavenging. With a 6" piece of hose, you will never get a siphone going to drain your pool, it will actually take force to pump water out. With a 4ft section of hose, you start the flow, than the hose uses the dynamics fluid flow to actually pull water out of the pool.

Lets say the air velocity out of each exhaust port is 300mph, we want that speed in each header tube, and we want that speed in the exhaust piping. Thats where sizing of pipe comes into play, to big and the air velocity slows down creating a resistance, to fast and the motor is forced to exert more force to accelerate that air through the smaller pipe.
                  Finally have an on the books porting/custom fab business!
                  HO bottom end,GT40Ps,cut/welded/ported upper+lower GT40 intakes,Comp XE258 cam,MS3X megasquirt computer,8 LS2 coils,2 dry systems + a 3rd wet,3 core rad w fans..1100hp Lentech WR AOD,custom 4" aluminum/moly Dshaft,custom rear/back half chassis adjustable 4link,wilwood 4 piston,moser 9" axles,locker, M/T 30x12's,4 staged fuel pumps,100lbs sound insulation,power/remote everything,2000W sound.4480lbs. 4.5s 0-60,12.8 1/4

Comment

Working...
                  X